Got the Stihl 029 started!

/ Got the Stihl 029 started! #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
I previously posted about how hard it is to start this chainsaw when cold. Briefly, it takes about 15 to 20 pulls to get it started--and it isn't flooded.

At the Stihl shop one of the guys mumbled about a different alloy in the cylinders and how it didn't let the fuel/oil mix into the cylinders very well.

Today I talked about it with an engineer friend (the guy is brilliant, he has answers to almost any mechanical related question) who suggested squirting in some ether (starting fluid). I don't have that around but WD40 works as a starting fluid. So I pulled off the air filter, squirted in some WD40, replaced the filter, pulled about 3 times & it fired up, ran about 2-3 seconds and died. 2 or 3 more pulls & it ran fine. Some relevant info relating to what the Stihl guy said is that when it is hard to start, the first 15 or so pull, it pulls hard (no fuel/oil in the cylinder), then eases up, only starting after it eases up. With the WD40 it pulled easily from the beginning. Running just a couple seconds brought the fuel in so it started easily after that.

/ Got the Stihl 029 started! #2  
Starting fluid (ether) for two strokes risks scoring the cylinder. Lucky for you you didn't have any. WD40 has or had some lubricant. The best thing to do is to try a squirt bottle of 1:50 mix.

/ Got the Stihl 029 started! #3  
Yep. If you ever have to prime the saw, use your saw mix. I usually dump about a soda bottle cap full in the carb, or down the spark plug hole.

/ Got the Stihl 029 started! #4  
Yep. If you ever have to prime the saw, use your saw mix. I usually dump about a soda bottle cap full in the carb, or down the spark plug hole.

or in the muffler.

/ Got the Stihl 029 started! #5  
or in the muffler.

Never tried it that way, but suppose it would work also. Most of my older saws though, you really cant see the muffler port. Kinda a 2-layer design almost.

/ Got the Stihl 029 started! #6  
Never thought of using WD-40 for starting fluid

/ Got the Stihl 029 started! #9  
What newbwrry said. Ether or Carb cleaner washes the oil off ur bearings and cyl wall and causes damage. Best too use a premix bottle. But u should still not have to do this. This is a cheat. U can also flood it with wd40 if u use to much. And that's an awfully lot of work taking the cleaner off each time. The spray bottle of premix van just be squirted on air filter. And hopefully its not to dirty to carry dust through it.

/ Got the Stihl 029 started! #10  
One method to start diesels without using WD40, ether or starting fluids is hold a gasoline soaked rag over the air intake. Make sure the filters are in place as a lot of air is suddenly drawn in when a diesel starts. Would be tough getting a rag off the top of a piston.