Got the trailer...now what?

/ Got the trailer...now what? #1  

jam2004

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2230
I finally found and bought a trailer (roughly 6x13) I think will tote my 2230 around if I need to. I found it driving by some farm near my house. Please take a look at it. What are some things I'm definitely going to need in order to transport my baby safely and securely. I'd like to have a list so I can get all the stuff (HD or a trailer shop) at one time. Also, would any of you be able to make an educated guess of its weight? Will I need breaks too?

Attachments

• 786751-trailer dec 2005 006 (Small).jpg
    786751-trailer dec 2005 006 (Small).jpg
    81 KB · Views: 637
   / Got the trailer...now what? #2  
I'm sure you will get more answers from the trailer experts here, but to me it looks pretty heavy duty, probably 3500 lb axles, so at least 7000 lbs GWR. Brakes are definitely recommended, since your 2230 weighs in about 1500 lbs. Add at least 2000 lbs for the trailer and you are towing over 3500 lbs. Add other equipment, it gets even more. You also want to get some highway rated chains, and binders.

(Edited: On 2nd view of the picture, it looks like it has a pintle hitch, so probably up in the 10000 lb category)

Do you mind saying what you paid for it? I'm looking for one too.

/ Got the trailer...now what?
I paid $650 for it. Where do I get highway rated chains and binders?

/ Got the trailer...now what? #4  
Check the bearings and repack them. There is no telling when this was done last. If it doesn't have brakes, you'll need them. The axles may or may not take brakes. I can't tell from here... I also don't see where you would connect your tie down chains, but that probably doesn't mean anything. Looks to be a good, sturdy trailer.

Electric brakes, repacked bearings, lights (again, I can't tell in the pick if it does or does not have them) and you'll be good to go. Might want to run it by a trailer place and have them give it the once over.

We take our horse trailers in once a year for general maintenance (more if we are covering more miles). Wouldn’t hurt to develop a relationship with a good trailer dealer. They’ll help you keep things legal and in great shape.

Electric brakes, repacked bearings, lights (again, I can't tell in the pick if it does or does not have them) and you'll be good to go. Might want to run it by a trailer place and have them give it the once over. <font color="blue"> </font>

<font color="black"> </font> It's got working lights and very sturdy tie-downs. I already set up appointment with my "trailer guy" to give it the inspection. I think it has brakes, but my current hitch wiring set-up will need to be modified.

/ Got the trailer...now what? #7  
I think you're pretty much set then! Good luck with your new trailer.

Thanks everyone for your input.