Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors.

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #161  
At least two of my college friends did become elected judges. I knew they had a background in at least some physics. Both over time, had to leave that occupation, as in everything, its not about the physics, its about the common perception. And juries are sometimes ignorant. The judge can only do so much. There are rules of procedure a Judge has to follow. Yet I would like to see that more judges just say, "This case means nothing and is dismissed here." Plaintiff or Defendant is awarded. But one of those parties has millions of dollars to toss at the case, cause they had lawyers on staff anyway. And Money and time, ALWAYS wins. It always wins, if you drag people down in to protracted law suits and make them give up, that's how it happens in the USA.

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #162  
Because the normal guy thinks they're a filter that prevents flow. They just rip them out, then the bonfires are fun again.

There's a recent video on YouTube where the guy removes the flame arrestor from what looked to me like a new can. Interesting that so years of debate went by before they started putting flame arrestors in the plastic cans, and there's this guy already taking one out.

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #163  
I was in the local general store last Friday and saw that they're selling 5 gallon cans with vents again. I didn't look them over that closely but did determine that the vent cover doesn't unscrew the way they used to.

One of my biggest beefs about unvented, aside from the obvious fact that they don't work; is that with changing temps even over the course of a day, they either expand or contract. over time this compromises the plastic and they need to be replaced.

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #164  
Well, that doesn't look to bad. My dads old white gas container had a screen in it. I don't recall it being a problem, but that was over 50 years ago, but dad didn't seemed too perturbed. Have you guys seen to cans where the nozzle attaches at the bottom of the gas can? Do those work alright?

I currently have a couple newer cans that kinda have a love hate relationship, you have to depress a little button, then push a larger chunk of plastic toward the nozzle, that opens a valve that lets the gas flow out, but it vent air while pouring so it fills pretty fast.

I have 3 or 4 old plastic "cans" going on 20+ years old, no valve and no vent when pouring. Easier to work, in that you aim the nozzle at the opening of the gas tank, before you tip it too far, but doesn't have a vent so the gas glug glugs out slower than the two other gas cans. Holding 5 gallons out at arms length to getting to be a bit more effort as i've gotten older and i try to let the engine/exhaust cool a bit before filling
The bottom nozzle fuel cans work great...but expensive.

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #165  
I think those in government that pass these regulations had to at least demonstrate how these things are better than what has been used for years. How long would those government regulators use one of those spring closing metal can. Spill when you fill and spill when you pour. But the are safe!

Dad used five gallon oil cans when he worked away from home often with no funnel. May have spilled a little but more has been spilled with these "safety pollution reducing" cans.

Not only these fuel cans but all the regulations they can dream up in the name of safety. Leave them demonstrate how to integrate them into our life.

As for the people who pour gasoline on a fire or use it to start a fire----well they get the award for stupidity---the Darwin award.

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #166  
What does one of these gas can flame arrestor look like?
Basically it is a tube of plastic in the fill opening that looks like a screen. How do I know, because I yanked them out of the new gas cans I bought. Why, because you can't fill them at a gas pump, the nozzle keeps jumping off. The screen is too fine to allow more then a trickle of gas in. I also bought replacement pour nozzles for them, the safety spring loaded ones they come with will not let much gas out.

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #167  
This is just another way they’re trying to make you buy inefficient battery powered maintenance equipment. I alter my own gas cans to add vents. If I have to someday buy a new one I’ll figure out a way to make it work for me.

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #168  
Nah, never happen. The two words you used, "legislate" and "STUPID" are 2 words that should be in the same sentence only when using one to describe the other. I was in the local farm supply store a few days ago and saw where 5-gallon red plastic gas jugs are up to almost $50 now. This new "safety device" will probably push the price to $75 or more. Then, just as everyone gets converted over, they will outlaw gasoline. I'm sure glad I bought 10 of them during the last ice storm 15 years ago for $11 each, and spent another $5 for 10 vent caps that installed in a 1/2" hole I drilled on the flat spot that manufacturers still put on the handle. When they outlaw gasoline, they will still be good for hauling moonshine.
Or they will use milk jugs or something similar. I remember seeing a video where a woman used a plastic bag. Self serve stations are unable to control it. I use portable containers a lot and always put them on the ground when filling. Never seen a problem when others leave them in their truck but I won't do it.

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #169  

CPSC Requires Lifesaving Flame Mitigation Devices on Gas Cans and Other Portable Fuel Containers

"Many burn incidents involve liquid fuel used on a backyard fire pit, a campfire, a bonfire or burning trash."

Bruce
Hmmm... I just refilled my kerosene heater with a brand new spill-less, spring loaded, vented, spark-arrested spout contraption and it dripped kerosene all over the floor through those govt mandates. Time to order more EZ pour spouts.

Oh and for tractors, get the hi-flo version. You can empty 5 gallons in about 45 seconds

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #170  
To be fair, nobody is pouring gasoline on an open fire. What is happening is people are trying to start a bonfire. They pour some gas, light it, it flames up big then quickly goes out. They think to try again and pour some more gas, then whoosh there's a fireball that races up into the can and it explodes in their hands.

I'd agree pouring gas on an open fire would be stupid, but pouring gas on what appears to be no fire at all is just a lack of knowledge. You can be the smartest most knowledgeable person on the planet and the the body of knowledge that you don't know will always be larger than the body you do.

That "darwin award" could be your young grandson trying to take initiative and help out when your back is turned for 10 seconds, that's all it takes. If the flame arrestors cause you problems filling or pouring then you're doing something wrong. I have cans with them from 70 years old to 2 years old wit them and they all fill and pour fine.

The no-spill spouts are garbage but the flame arrestors are cheap, effective, and harmless. The EPA definitely gets some things wrong but this isn't one of them.