GPM availability on MX5800 for Hydraulic Auger?

/ GPM availability on MX5800 for Hydraulic Auger? #11  
I have one and really like it, started with a 9” and a 15” then also bought a 12” auger. I have have mine offset and really like the visibility over a center mount.

IMG_3249.jpgIMG_3250.jpg

/ GPM availability on MX5800 for Hydraulic Auger? #12  
I have the EP6 with similar flow. If purchasing again I would likely go with the EP10 for the torque. I dont usually have to do many holes at once, so time isnt critical, and it doesn't take much to stall out a 10" bit on the EP6. Even a baseball size rock can jam it, depending on position. But with the hydraulic augers you can just reverse it, so they dont get stuck, etc.

/ GPM availability on MX5800 for Hydraulic Auger?
I have the EP6 with similar flow. If purchasing again I would likely go with the EP10 for the torque. I dont usually have to do many holes at once, so time isnt critical, and it doesn't take much to stall out a 10" bit on the EP6. Even a baseball size rock can jam it, depending on position. But with the hydraulic augers you can just reverse it, so they dont get stuck, etc.

Good to know. I can get the EP10 for a couple of hundred more so not an issue either way. I suppose if I went with the EP10 I am better off in case I upgrade tractors some day.

/ GPM availability on MX5800 for Hydraulic Auger? #14  
I have the small Danhuser for 10gpm & a 12" auger. My L4060 has about 9gpm of impliment flow (15hp or so @ 2,500psi). I expect about the same as a small MX. It's a bit anemic at times & has less power than my 3pt auger on my old L3200 (25hp PTO). But it's more useful & easier to operate despite being down 10hp.

When you move the loader, the PHD starves & stops spinning. You end up using float or barely moving the loader & it works well. With the big downpressure you can bear, reverse & a relief valve are your friend. It's not hard to stall the PHD, but you dont stall the teactor or damage anything. Reverse is only a button away if you corkscrew it.

Just make sure you get a double acting relief valve as well. They arent standard. When you let go of the valve the motor is spinning & turns into a pump. That can massively overpressure your lines & break things.20170401_133255.jpg

/ GPM availability on MX5800 for Hydraulic Auger? #15  
Just make sure you get a double acting relief valve as well. They arent standard. When you let go of the valve the motor is spinning & turns into a pump. That can massively overpressure your lines & break things.

If you can spin a big auger fast, then you will build up a lot of momentum, which will cause a pressure spike when you stop.

The reason that hydraulic PHDs usually do not come with a work-port RV to eliminate these spikes is that they turn pretty slowly.

How fast does yours turn with only 9GPM max flow?

/ GPM availability on MX5800 for Hydraulic Auger? #16  
It's the first time I have seen hyd augers on a utility tractor. Or any tractor for that matter.

/ GPM availability on MX5800 for Hydraulic Auger? #18  
If you can spin a big auger fast, then you will build up a lot of momentum, which will cause a pressure spike when you stop.

The reason that hydraulic PHDs usually do not come with a work-port RV to eliminate these spikes is that they turn pretty slowly.

How fast does yours turn with only 9GPM max flow?

Not that fast, probably around the same speed as my old 3pt PHD at idle. I have the relief valve to install on my 3rd function lines, but havent yet. My hoses jump pretty hard when I let off the valve. Way more than when operating the angle on my SSQA plow.

It's a race to see what gives out first, my procrastination or a hose. I know a PHD has orders of magnitude less inertia than a rotary cutter or something, but it has enough to cause problems.

/ GPM availability on MX5800 for Hydraulic Auger? #19  
Inertia is a concern, but so is the porting of the remote valve. Most valves (other than motor control valves) are designed so the return port closes just before the supply port. This keeps cylinders pressurized a bit and reduces cylinder drift. This also creates pressure spikes in orbit motors which can be harmful. If the control valve has a float position shifting the lever to float to stop the orbit motor eliminates pressure spikes.