GPS Units

/ GPS Units #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I have a Garmin 755T, just wondered if any of you have a GPS that works well and does not have these problems (that mine has):

1. The next turn is the same highway I am on. For example, I get on highway 82 in Gainesville TX and will get off on highway 287 in Henrietta, about 75 miles away. But instead of showing a right turn on 287 in 75 miles it shows a turn or actually a "curve" 20 miles away onto highway 82, the same highway I'm on! Then when I get to that spot it finally shows the turn onto highway 287 55 miles away. If I am going to go 300 miles on an interstate I want to see that the next turn is 300 miles away. I don't need to be told to stay on an interstate every time it curves this way or that.

2. Instead of saying turn right highway 75 in Van Alstyne (or showing it as the next turn) the GPS instead shows turn right on "Robert Hynds Freeway". Never heard of Robert Hynds Freeway, and there is no sign for that, not referred to that way on my paper map of Texas. It should say to turn right on highway 75 - thats what its called its entire length. When you are on a road trip you aren't going to know what each little town names the highway as it goes through their town. Seems pretty stupid for the GPS to refer to it that way.

If Tom Toms or Magellans do this different maybe I'd like to switch brands.

/ GPS Units #2  
Sorry, your problem is not the GPS but is the maps they have. If the map has a curve instead of a 90 degree turn, the gps will display a curve. I don't understand the get on get off get back on directions, but they all seem to do that, including my phone google map application.

I recently went to Alpharetta Ga and all the gps units in use showed a back road route to the business. Problem was that roadway had never been built even though the maps had shown it being there for over 10 years.

/ GPS Units #3  
My Tom Tom (an older unit...had it for three or four years now) shows the road bends and curves as your Garmin does (just as a paper map would). This doesn't hinder navigation, however.

As far as actual turns, the Tom Tom will display (on the screen...pops up as soon as the previous turn has been accomplished) the name of the next road to I am to turn on , but doesn't announce it. When the turn is within 2 miles, it's announced "Next turn Two Miles Ahead" and then again immediately before you need to turn. As long as there isn't more then one or two turns or exits in close proximity, this works well. The Tom Tom does not announce the name or route number of the road.
The Tom Tom also displays the distance to the next turn (and direction you'll turn relative to the driver, i.e. left or right) as well as the remaining distance to your destination.

I'm pretty happy with the Tom Tom...but every now and then it'll route you to the wrong address...which is why I always print out a Google or Mapquest map before any trip.

/ GPS Units #4  
My old Garman Nuvi 350 did silly things like that. I just replaced it with a new one that I haven't been away from home with yet.

We went from Iowa to Arizona with 2 GPS's once. They couldn't agree on anything. We would have to stop at least once a day to verify where we were going on paper maps. One would say turn in 7 miles and the other would say turn in 50 miles.

BUT, I wouldn't leave home without one.

/ GPS Units #5  
Those are two of my biggest pet peeves with Garmin (StreetPilot 7200)

I can live with No. 1 - but as someone who drives professionally for a living, No. 2 is the real killer .....

I want to know the route number (US, State, County Highway) and not have the road called 15 different names, as a consequence of going thru 15 little towns - since it's always the same route number.

It appears that it's Garmin "dumbing down" the unit for tourists and sightseeing .... although it may have something to do with the NavTech dataset that they use.

/ GPS Units #6  
My Garmin's do the same thing.
1. The Garmin gives those kind of directions trying to keep you on 75 instead following the straight road off 75.
2. You can get rid of the names by selecting a voice that does not give names. My oldest Garmin does not give street names. Sometimes I choose that option when the names are confusing the information.

Along the same line, another bug is when I have been traveling hwy 75 for miles. The voice will say stay on hwy 121. But I am on hwy 75. But hwy 121 is using the same road as hwy 75 for a few miles. Gets real confusing when you have been using the same hwy number for many miles. Then calls it a new number. (I used road numbers in your area as a example, GPS may not do it in this case).

/ GPS Units #7  
We have had a couple GPS' brands in the work trucks, we have since replaced them all with Tom Toms. It seems the TT's are usually more accurate, but even still on occasion, they get you "off" a little. I took a crew to S. California for a 2 week job and the TT got it wrong 2 times, but both times where manageable.

I personally like the bigger screen units since they are usually easier for me to read quick at a glance . I don't like having the sound on so it's usually off. Most of the crew's keep the sound off also, but the younger guy's don't mind the smaller screens. I do know my brother has had to update a couple of the older ones, but I haven't used them.

Overall I think TT is "in it to win it" and easier to use.

/ GPS Units #8  
Consider yourself lucky. Have you read the stories of GPS taking short cuts into the mountains in the dead of winter? I will stick with paper maps.

/ GPS Units #9  
Consider yourself lucky. Have you read the stories of GPS taking short cuts into the mountains in the dead of winter? I will stick with paper maps.

Good point Transit, I generally will double check if the GPS says to go "4 wheelin" One Donner party is enough and short cut's well you know how they some times go.

/ GPS Units #10  
Consider yourself lucky. Have you read the stories of GPS taking short cuts into the mountains in the dead of winter?
Nope ...... but I have been on a couple of 'em :D