GR2120 RCK54 mower gearbox oil

/ GR2120 RCK54 mower gearbox oil #1  

Telstar2112

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L35, GR2120
On my 2015 GR2120 mower the bevel gearbox locked up. Took it apart and found it was empty of oil and had a destroyed bearing. Gears themselves still looked OK so bought all new bearings, seals and parts from Kubota to repair it myself. Approx $100 with some RTV as well. Manual calls for UDT2 Kubota hydraulic oil in it. Even checking often, I feel if this transmission leaks again I won't know it until it is too late as it is buried underneath and usually covered with grass. I was wondering if this is what people use or would it be better off with some kind of thicker gear oil, like 80 or 90 weight and less likely to leak out? Any suggestions?
TIA, Steve

/ GR2120 RCK54 mower gearbox oil #2  
John Deere corn head grease....

/ GR2120 RCK54 mower gearbox oil #3  
On my 2015 GR2120 mower the bevel gearbox locked up. Took it apart and found it was empty of oil and had a destroyed bearing. Gears themselves still looked OK so bought all new bearings, seals and parts from Kubota to repair it myself. Approx $100 with some RTV as well. Manual calls for UDT2 Kubota hydraulic oil in it. Even checking often, I feel if this transmission leaks again I won't know it until it is too late as it is buried underneath and usually covered with grass. I was wondering if this is what people use or would it be better off with some kind of thicker gear oil, like 80 or 90 weight and less likely to leak out? Any suggestions?
TIA, Steve

Not sure how the bevel gearbox in your GR2120 compares to this, but here is the manufacturer's lubrication recommendation for a Superior 211ADF 189 bevel gearbox in F3060 front deck mower.

I switched to synthetic 75W-90 GL-5 two years ago on recommendation by fellow member here.

Superior 211ADF 189 6 Gearbox Mounting.jpg

Lubrication.png

/ GR2120 RCK54 mower gearbox oil #4  
The corn head grease sounds like a good idea, but the gear oil even though the number is high, isn't that much different from the Kubota stuff. I had the same torture problem but the locked up gear case ruined my driveshaft as well so it was a lot more expensive. I used the Kubota UDT-2 but wish it was easier to get in there and check it. I had a really hard time getting that thing back together. It's such a strain getting the deck off and on again that I dread doing that just to check the oil level.
Corn head grease solidifies at room temp so when you're not using the machine, at least, it won't leak. It liquifies when the gearbox heats up. My 2120 is also a 2015. It has about 475 hours.

/ GR2120 RCK54 mower gearbox oil #5  
It is a lot easier to remove the deck if you buy a set of four furniture removal dollies with rubber on top. Also, it is fairly easy to check the oil level in the gearbox if you lower the deck all the way down. Then blow off the grass and dirt with compressed air and wipe clean around the check port. Now remove the check plug with a 12mm 3/8 drive socket and ratchet and then poke a piece of wire with a 90deg bend on the end on it to check the oil level is at the bottom of the check hole.