GR2120 Steer Cylinder

/ GR2120 Steer Cylinder #1  

MHarryE

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M7-171, M5-111, SVL75-2, RTV900XT & GR2120; CaseIH 1680 combine
Have 190 hours. Steer cylinder mounting brackets have failed twice. First time my wife called, tractor stopped. I drove home, discovered brackets holding cylinder failed, hoses were only thing supporting cylinder and one came loose, least all oil so tractor stopped. Replaced brackets and tie bolt, have put on about 40 hours and noticed steering was limited in one direction. Checked and found one bracket broken, other bracket and tie bolt bent. Straightened bent parts, welded broken ears back on bracket as this time they weren’t badly damaged. Back in operation.

Tractor is in 4th season. I find quality is not good compared to Japanese Kubota. Example it’s overheated on my wife twice mowing in conditions the plug radiator screen but there was no overheat light. Engine started acting up. Discovered Kubotas check at start up does not verify lights work (except oil pressure which is by default zero when you turn the key). My tractor did not have a warning light installed - socket on harness was dangling. Air cleaner inlet always falls off, is now secured with a dozen cable ties. Positive is it will outperform the JD it replaced and has shifted most of mowing to my wife as she loves to use it - she hated Deere. I only get the steep slopes she won’t touch. But quality does not seem Kubota.

/ GR2120 Steer Cylinder
Yup, and mine has never been used for anything except lawn mower. It does have 4wd so I expect it to handle slopes on which my JD would spin out and I hope the transmission has better durability than my Lowe’s JD. Do not think much of American Kubota build quality. I assume from the

/ GR2120 Steer Cylinder #4  
I had the same problem with my GR2120. I figured the failure was caused by the metal being weakened from the bending of the it. I could see a fine line in the metal where it was bent 90 degrees. I weld for a living so I just welded them up and put a little paint on them. I think they are stronger now than originally. I haven’t had a problem with them since.

Attachments

• 4FB31B8B-9993-464E-B616-EAD3825C589A.jpeg
    4FB31B8B-9993-464E-B616-EAD3825C589A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 362
  • C83FFD33-761B-4894-BE62-A52BEB07FE30.jpeg
    C83FFD33-761B-4894-BE62-A52BEB07FE30.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 465
   / GR2120 Steer Cylinder #6  
They are unimpressive machines.
Kubota probably loved all the parts they sold for them though!. sell it cheap, and make it so it breaks down often, and make your money on the replacement parts seems to apply!.

/ GR2120 Steer Cylinder #7  
I am replacing both of my brackets this weekend. One of the lower bolts is missing, so I assume it fell out putting extra load and stress on the brackets. 2013 with 200+ hours, but it gets worked around here. Philip.

/ GR2120 Steer Cylinder #8  
Replaced both brackets and long tie bolt last night. The passenger side bracket bottom mounting bolt to axle was gone, maybe this initiated failure? Both brackets were bent and broke. The drivers side bracket bottom mounting bolt to axle was not tight, if this happens again I may replace with nylon-lock nuts. I agree with others, this is not a good design to hold a powerful hydraulic cylinder in place, if the front tire hits something hard like a curb, or if the front tire is against something stiff when you try to turn the wheel, one of these brackets must take all that force. Philip.

Attachments

• steering bracket 01.JPG
    steering bracket 01.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 236
  • steering bracket 02.JPG
    steering bracket 02.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 277
  • steering bracket 03.JPG
    steering bracket 03.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 295
   / GR2120 Steer Cylinder #9  
Replaced both brackets and long tie bolt last night. The passenger side bracket bottom mounting bolt to axle was gone, maybe this initiated failure? Both brackets were bent and broke. The drivers side bracket bottom mounting bolt to axle was not tight, if this happens again I may replace with nylon-lock nuts. I agree with others, this is not a good design to hold a powerful hydraulic cylinder in place, if the front tire hits something hard like a curb, or if the front tire is against something stiff when you try to turn the wheel, one of these brackets must take all that force. Philip.

I passed by this post and having a GR2120 I thought I had better check to see if I had the same problem. Well the left side was fine but sure enough the right side was broken on one of the legs. My machine has 694 hours and has worked hard. I was surprised to find this broken but thats what comes from following the forum!
MY plan is to take off the broken part and have it welded, then order a new replacement. I am in a remote location so getting parts is a bit of a problem.
But, I need some advice from those who have had this problem. Is it easy to remove the right hand bracket?? or is it a *****?

Thanks for any help, Jim

/ GR2120 Steer Cylinder #10  
I need some advice from those who have had this problem. Is it easy to remove the right hand bracket?? or is it a *****? Thanks for any help, Jim

Not sure if it is worth welding, but that is up to you and how long it takes to get a new bracket. I had my bracket in 3 days, make sure you check the long tie rod bolt at the top that connects the 2 brackets, mine had a slight bend in it. Only issue I had was socket clearance, passenger side was harder than drivers side. If I recall, the OEM nuts took a 14mm socket, and the replacements nuts took a 13mm socket, so that made the install socket clearance a little easier, bolt diameter was the same. Attached are the part numbers I used. Philip.

Attachments

• receipt steering hydraulic cylinder brackets bolts nuts.JPG
    receipt steering hydraulic cylinder brackets bolts nuts.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 183