Grading an "Interesting" Driveway

/ Grading an "Interesting" Driveway #11  
You ARE truly doing a great job on your driveway.

/ Grading an "Interesting" Driveway #12  
I enjoy projects like this. I'd be like a vulture on a tree limb waiting for the driveway to need a tune-up. :rolleyes:

/ Grading an "Interesting" Driveway #13  
Terry,

It looks good! You're not that far from me so the lay of the land looks familiar.

I enjoy projects like this. I'd be like a vulture on a tree limb waiting for the driveway to need a tune-up. :rolleyes:

Richard,

I've got two semi steep gravel driveways to rehab soon. Come East for a week and I'll put you on 'em! I've got one of those 9540 Kubota's and a 96" box blade, I'm sure you'll catch on fast. :)

/ Grading an "Interesting" Driveway
Thanks, guys.

DT86,

Yes it does look a lot like SW Virginia around here. Very pretty country.

Terry

/ Grading an "Interesting" Driveway #15  
Hats off...nice job...!
I deal with very similar grades and curves...you've obviously mastered the learning curve of the blade...I assume you have T&T...?

/ Grading an "Interesting" Driveway
Hats off...nice job...!
Thanks.
I deal with very similar grades and curves...you've obviously mastered the learning curve of the blade...I assume you have T&T...?
Well, let's just say the first few times it didn't look as good. :eek: Seventeen years of practice helps.

No, I do it all with manual adjustments on a simple old Bush-Hog brand angle blade. Once I get it set for each run I manage it only with the 3-point lift control. This time I got off to set the blade four times - once for each side of the road (since I only grade up hill) plus once because I missed the setup the first time, and once to reverse the blade for back-blading.

Terry

/ Grading an "Interesting" Driveway #17  
Very good job on the driveway, it is more complicated than my 1000' drive but the steepness is about the same. I understand what you are saying about people not using their four wheel drive, sure I can make it up mine in two wheel drive but it tears up the gravel, snap it in 4x4 quick and all is well. Keep up the good work.

/ Grading an "Interesting" Driveway #18  
Nice place and very good write up and telling of your story. You made the story "come alive" with your pictures and narration.:thumbsup:

James K0UA

/ Grading an "Interesting" Driveway #19  
My drive is similar, but longer (a full mile) and steeper (up and down two steep hills). I like the guttering I see in your pix, and wish I could do that to minimize washing, but most of my hilly drive was cut into the side of a hill and there isn't room for a gutter. I find my blade useful, but also use a rock rake to pull the gravel in because of the rocks and stumps close to the drive. I could bend a blade quickly. I also use a box blade to fill in holes, ruts and the like - and to move gravel uphill. I have to work the road three or four times a year - sometimes more if we have a major flood or the like. The spring work is largely to clean up any mess left by snow plowing - if any.

Thanks for posting. I too find my beautiful location well worth the time I have to spend on the drive. And, for Christmas, I spot collections of solar Christmas lights along the drive. I get them on sales after Christmas. Visitors love seeing lights in the middle of a remote forest.

/ Grading an "Interesting" Driveway #20  
Richard,

I've got two semi steep gravel driveways to rehab soon. Come East for a week and I'll put you on 'em! I've got one of those 9540 Kubota's and a 96" box blade, I'm sure you'll catch on fast. :)

I might be able to run that..... ;)