Grading for driveway repair

/ Grading for driveway repair #1  

Makc

Tractor
BCS 853
I'm considering the BCS dozer/scraper blade and the box blade kit from Earth Tools for repairing minor damage to gravel driveways. I'd like to do this periodically so I can stretch the time between needing heavy machinery and new loads of gravel. I'm also interested in using it for building trails through steep, forested terrain.

Is it unrealistic to expect good results on a hard packed gravel drive? Would the steel or rubber tracks improve performance dramatically over the simple wheel weights?

/ Grading for driveway repair #2  
I'm considering the BCS dozer/scraper blade and the box blade kit from Earth Tools for repairing minor damage to gravel driveways. I'd like to do this periodically so I can stretch the time between needing heavy machinery and new loads of gravel. I'm also interested in using it for building trails through steep, forested terrain.

Is it unrealistic to expect good results on a hard packed gravel drive? Would the steel or rubber tracks improve performance dramatically over the simple wheel weights?

/ Grading for driveway repair #3  
I tried using a Brinley box blade behind my Grillo 107d. It did not work at all on tight gravel. It worked poorly on loose dirt.

Now, the Brinley was designed to be used with a CAT 0 hitch, so I did not expect great results. It does work okay when pulled by my Steiner 420 with CAT 0 hitch.

But I'm skeptical that the box blade designed for the BCS would work well on hard pack gravel.

/ Grading for driveway repair #4  
Hi Makc ;)

Based on my 50 years of experience with 2-wheel tractors - the last 12 of which I have owned a BCS 740, the short answer to your 2 questions would have to be: „Yes“ to the first one, and „no“ to the second one. This is probably not what you were hoping to hear, but like joecoin, I am skeptical as well, and I think you will be disappointed of the performance of your tractor, and wasting your money on top.

Most modern 2-wheel tractors are very powerful compared to their weight. This makes them easier to handle and more maneuverable, and when using power-hungry PTO-implements, more power is available to the implement, as less engine power is needed to propel the tractor. When using a dozer/scraper though, it’s all about traction, and the main factor affecting traction, is the weight on the wheels.

Using a PTO-implement, is by far the most efficient way to get the most work out of any tractor, as around 95 % of the engine power is available at the PTO-shaft. Using a tractor for pulling or pushing has the lowest efficiency, as only around 50 % of the engine power is available as drawbar power, depending mainly on the terrain in question.

In the Nebraska Tractor Test no. 731, a David Bradley Super 300 weighing 486 pounds, delivered a maximum pull of 241 pounds under perfect test conditions on a dry concrete surface. Your BCS 853 only weighs half of the David Bradley, and would therefore only deliver around 120 pounds of pull under perfect conditions, and even less in steep forested terrain. Sadly that sort of pull/push is not going to impress your gravel driveways in any way, and won’t help you much in building new trails.

Tracks will increase your pull compared to rubber wheels - especially in rough forested terrain, but spending around $2,500 on steel tracks and the dozer/scraper, doesn’t make sense to me. Your tractor will still be way to light, and you will run out of traction long before you run out of engine power.

This is simply not a job for a 2-wheel tractor - sorry :cry:

Best regards

Jens

/ Grading for driveway repair #5  

Get a box grader with adjustable angle blades. It will dive right in the hardest gravel. Make a smooth trail in the woods. It saves your gravel. Me and my brother made a 7' one. It will move 2 yards of dirt easy. We load it up, pick up just a little so it doesn't dig, and you can move that dirt where you want. We use a hydraulic top link, works a lot better. I moved 170 yards of dirt in half a day. Pulled it up with box grader. Had two dump trucks carrying it about a mile one way. Two skid steers loading. Best thing is, you can't even tell we got any dirt. Took about 6" off a hill top. Smooth now, cows eating grass on it.

/ Grading for driveway repair #6  
I used to own a David Bradley two wheel tractor with a 7 hp briggs and a reverser. The prior owner had made concrete wheel weights for it. I could push a minor amount of loose gravel with it, but as far as actual grading compacted soil or moving a large pile of gravel, it was a no go for me.

/ Grading for driveway repair #7  
Use one of these behind your car or truck.

If you want to build one, there are many online videos of various homemade vehicle-towed driveway graders/drags.

Bruce

/ Grading for driveway repair
Thanks, good advice and a clear consensus. Not surprising that heavier machinery is needed (although I think the occasional minor repair could be done with hand tools since it's always a few predictable spots where trouble develops). I'll avoid wasting money on the blade attachment.

/ Grading for driveway repair #9  
I have a mile long gravel driveway. It was constructed in 1982 and over the years it has become hard as concrete. Due to wind blown silt, volcanic ash, dust, etc. As currently set up - my Kubota M6040 weighs 10,100 pounds. I have Cat 2 implements for use on the driveway.

My 820# LPGS would be totally useless without its scarifiers. LPGS = land plane grading scraper.

To fix a pothole - LPGS with scarifiers set FULL down. Grind it up then level/smooth it out. Pack it down with the tractor.

If you can make minor repairs with hand tools - your driveway isn't really that hard - yet.

My Rhino rear blade - pictured - weighs 1100#. If I can get it started - IE... break ground - it will do a fair job of grading. Otherwise - I rely on the LPGS w/scarifiers to get a driveway problem corrected.

IMG_0009.jpeg