Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices.

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #111  
Yeah, but if we are both being completely honest, we both KNOW trucks tuned to make double their power are likely to experience failures when towing heavy. The EGTs in those trucks when put under load are astronomical and cant be sustained for much longer than a "full-pull" at the truck pulls. Even if they could they must also be equipped with an overbuilt transmission or clutch to handle that level of power.
Its good for fun, but impractical for anyone unless you want a melted turbo, hole in a piston or shredded transmission.

If all you want to look at is HP/TQ on a dyno, fine-you win, but I bet my stock Cummins will last 5-10 times longer than a bombed truck once we hook 30,000 pounds to it and haul it up hills for a few years.
Anything more than 400HP in a diesel from the manufacturer could rarely be utilized. Its just for bragging rights and as I said before, manhood compensation. Now we both know we pretty much have to take what the manufacturer gives us *stock*, but adding more power to that is stupid.
Apparently we are not both exactly on the same page, some differences in what we are perceiving as the normal work load vs what a particular tune/modification can produce when pushed to the max.

That truck went more years and miles with the engine mods than it did stock!
It spent most of its life hooked to a trailer with a load on it, never once did it give an issue besides a water pump. The transmission was salvaged and now resides in some local kids truck and is still going strong unlike many of them that came apart with just stock power.

By the way I don’t go to the truck shows to run my truck. I like to stop in see friends, have a beer and sometimes watch the happenings going on. My truck saw a dyno for tuning purposes only at a shop with just 3 people watching. I think my previous post is the first time I ever told anyone outside those 3 people what kind of HP it made at max. But remember we don’t all run around at max output and even bone stock I wouldn’t recomend it unless maybe your running something like my Detroit, Cat or a Cummins in a big truck but even they have limits in the tuning so they don’t self destruct with a bad driver.

Last edited:
   / Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #112  
I have a clue. Have a great day.

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #114  
Duty cycle in a motor for the application is by far the most important factor.

There is not enough cooling capacity in any of the trucks to maintain peak or even close to peak power for any length of time. Most newer trucks come with an engine power percentage PID. I very rarely see it go past 70% while being loaded and on it. Tuners are trying to get that last 30% out of the engine, which is the hardest and most costly to get.

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #115  
When I had my Cummins I frequented the Cummins forums and what Hay Dude said is often correct. It was common to read a post something like this. “I lost the transmission in my truck, I don’t know why, it’s only got 75,000 miles and the engine is all stock except for 100 hp injectors, another turbo, stacked chips, a 500 gpm fuel pump and straight exhaust”.

I exaggerate a little bit but not much. Anybody who owns a modern vehicle should learn about torque management. It’s often used off the line and during shifts to pull power to save the transmission, rear end, u joints etc. I have a 2010 Challenger that I put a tune on and turned off torque management on. It shifts hard enough to break the tires lose on the 1 to 2 shift. I also realize it’s hard on the car.

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #116  
Duty cycle in a motor for the application is by far the most important factor.

There is not enough cooling capacity in any of the trucks to maintain peak or even close to peak power for any length of time. Most newer trucks come with an engine power percentage PID. I very rarely see it go past 70% while being loaded and on it. Tuners are trying to get that last 30% out of the engine, which is the hardest and most costly to get.
I didn't want more power. I wanted the EPA garbage off my Cummins.

If all you do is remove that and adjust the tune to recognize it, you pick up considerable power.

I can put up to a 200 HP tune on mine with the little black box. Not gonna happen, though. I didn't like the 60 horse tune. At all. Snapped your neck every time it shifted. Had them put the lowest one on it, 30 horse, and I'm pretty happy with it. I can go down to zero horse/stock tune and there's still a big improvement. But I understand you're pretty safe with the 30 horse. Transmissions ain't cheap

Gotta watch it in the rain. The rear tires can get away from you just driving it normally so you gotta baby it until the rain cleans the road surface off. Then drive gently. Those things have ungodly amounts of power. And turn the exhaust brake off in anything where the road traction is compromised. Rain, snow, sleet, sand, gravel, mud.... whatever, turn it off

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #117  
When I had my Cummins I frequented the Cummins forums and what Hay Dude said is often correct. It was common to read a post something like this. “I lost the transmission in my truck, I don’t know why, it’s only got 75,000 miles and the engine is all stock except for 100 hp injectors, another turbo, stacked chips, a 500 gpm fuel pump and straight exhaust”.

I exaggerate a little bit but not much. Anybody who owns a modern vehicle should learn about torque management. It’s often used off the line and during shifts to pull power to save the transmission, rear end, u joints etc. I have a 2010 Challenger that I put a tune on and turned off torque management on. It shifts hard enough to break the tires lose on the 1 to 2 shift. I also realize it’s hard on the car.
They put torque management on the diesels because they have so much power, they'll break the tires loose on even normal starts from a stop sign, etc. Especially if you're taking a turn at the same time as starting out.

The 68RFE can take a 30 horse tune and be pretty reliable from what I understand. If and when you do burn it up, you can get them rebuilt. Spendy, but you can do it. The Aisin, you don't wanna mess with those hardly at all. Hard to rebuild, expensive to rebuild. RevMax does it but they hate them. They hate everything about the Aisin. I'm not really a fan either. From the factory, they're quite a bit stronger than the 68RFE. They're strong enough for a stock tune but anything over that and you're playing Russian Roulette.

But if you've got an Aisin in your Ram, it's already pretty strong. And if you gotta take the EPA garbage off, I'd stay at a stock or near-stock tune.

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #118  
Warren's BNSF moves 800+ tank cars each day from Alberta to Texas.
A very profitable business for Warren.
Warren says: Pipelines suck! 🤣

Everybody knows a pipeline is unreliable, but a series of short pipes on wheels never leaks.

/ Grand jury indictment for shop removing diesel truck emissions devices. #120