Grand L 3940 vs. MX5100

/ Grand L 3940 vs. MX5100 #1  

RJJR

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 Kioti DK45 HST
I was at the dealer today pricing a grand L 3940 and the dealer wanted to show me the MX5100 saying it was more tractor for about the same money. Can you offer me comparisons as to what I'd be gaining or losing with these tractors? Operating expenses, creature comforts, reliability or anything you can think of?

Thanks

/ Grand L 3940 vs. MX5100 #3  
The Grand L'series is the best of the best. It has more features such as anti stall and auto throttle then any one other tractor in it's class.

The MX series is a standard type tractor, unlike the Grand L it won't take a belly mower or a front snowblower. More horsepower, less options.

Kubota doesn't lower it's high quality levels between models of equipment.

/ Grand L 3940 vs. MX5100 #4  
I am having a similar issue. I am having trouble with all the models out there and the overlap. I almost pulled the trigger on the l3240 today but left feeling like it will ultimately be undersized. When I showed interest in the l3940 the dealer said I would be crazy to not buy the mx5100. To me, a landscape contractor that is more plant oriented but does some stone work, the 3240 seemed too small, less hydraulic power than the l3940 but the mx5100 front end seemed too big, heavy and like it would not be nimble enough for some of the tighter areas I find myself. My question: Is the power difference b/t the l3940 and the l3240 enough to worry about? Also I am not interested in hst but dt.

/ Grand L 3940 vs. MX5100 #5  
I am having a similar issue. I am having trouble with all the models out there and the overlap. I almost pulled the trigger on the l3240 today but left feeling like it will ultimately be undersized. When I showed interest in the l3940 the dealer said I would be crazy to not buy the mx5100. To me, a landscape contractor that is more plant oriented but does some stone work, the 3240 seemed too small, less hydraulic power than the l3940 but the mx5100 front end seemed too big, heavy and like it would not be nimble enough for some of the tighter areas I find myself. My question: Is the power difference b/t the l3940 and the l3240 enough to worry about? Also I am not interested in hst but dt.

I think you would only notice the power difference if operating a pto powered device. What are your intentions with this machine? Philip.

/ Grand L 3940 vs. MX5100 #6  
Depend on what kind of stone work you do the MX5100 may gain a few points, heaver and a more powerful loader goes a long ways with stone. It is fairly big but it is surprising how maneuverable they are for their size.
Also if you have not used or tried a hydro they are very very nice for detail work where you just want to edge an inch at a time.

/ Grand L 3940 vs. MX5100 #7  
I've got an mx5100 in hst and I don't regret the size at all especially in my landscape job where I used big lime stone gravel. I brush hog anything I need and its great on fuel. And tow it around town with a silverado 2500hd gas.
But like others said what are the primary uses?

/ Grand L 3940 vs. MX5100 #8  
i have to disagree with art that grand L is "best of the best". but my own prejudice shows up here. no doubt the grand L serves many with all the frills and convenient gadgets, i don't argue with that.
but all for a big price. i would much prefer to get more guts/hp in a tractor for the same price. is this "better"? no. but can't agree that the grand L is the best of the best either, esp. now that MX5100 has hydrostatic tranny, etc. When the rubber meets the dirt, i want guts not frills. many will disagree.
fortunately K has numerous models for each school of thought.
Best of luck on your purchase.

/ Grand L 3940 vs. MX5100 #9  
but can't agree that the grand L is the best of the best either, esp. now that MX5100 has hydrostatic tranny, etc. When the rubber meets the dirt, i want guts not frills. many will disagree.

If you want guts and not frills why would you want a hydrostatic tranny.More PTO HP with a manual.:D:D

Jeff

/ Grand L 3940 vs. MX5100 #10  
quite right on that, my point being though that a person can have that option on a no nonsense machine w/o spending on all the frills of the grand L....
me? i'll stick w/my M8540 geared hyd shuttle & never look back.
point well taken though!