Grand L 66" loader bucket

/ Grand L 66" loader bucket #1  

bigballer

Platinum Member
PNW - North Central bWashington - The Evergreen St
Tractor
2006 Kubota L3400
I want to get a QA bucket and am looking to buy one from a dealer at deeply discounted price (brand new weathered holdover). they said it's construction grade meaning much wider cutting bar, heavier, etc. I know they make a 66" bucket for my LA463 (3400) but it's priced a lot higher. Seems like the grand L model could not be too much heavier and probably more durable in the long run. can't seem to find any specs relating directly to bucket on Kubota website. any opinions on this?

/ Grand L 66" loader bucket #2  
I have a 72" bucket, but found specs of two 66" buckets in my LA723 FEL manual:

- Square 66" QA:
width = 66"
depth = 18
height = 22.1
length = 21.4
capacity = 8.1 cu ft
capacity heaped = 9.9
weight = 265 lbs

Round HD 66" QA:
width = 66"
depth = 17.3
height = 22.8
length = 22.4
capacity = 8.1 cu ft
capacity heaped = 9.9
weight = 287

/ Grand L 66" loader bucket #3  
The round back bucket above is the Heavy Duty bucket. I had a 66 inch square back bucket for the LA463, but it is not very heavy duty.

/ Grand L 66" loader bucket #4  
I have a Kubota 72" Heavy Duty Round Back Bucket (L2296) on my L3560 tractor-loader. L2296 bucket comes only with SSQA quick attach.

Check to be sure what type of QA the bucket you are being offered has, and be sure this QA is compatible with your FEL arms. Most L3400 tractors would not have SSQA compatible FEL arms.

On my tractor, 72" bucket width is necessary to protect FEL hose connection block from being hit. A 66" would leave the FEL hose connection block exposed. For that reason, Kubota does not offer 66" HDRB bucket for the new Grand L --60 models. The 66" bucket you are being offered is truly an orphan.

I find my HDRB bucket very useful in woods work. Consider, though, HDRB bucket is approximately 60 pounds heavier than the standard bucket, so your payload lifting ability is reduced by same 60 pounds.

The HDRB bucket makes a rock solid mount for clamp-on attachments such a Debris Forks and a Bucket Spade.

I like my SSQA HDRB bucket and would order it again.

Last edited:
   / Grand L 66" loader bucket #6  
If you want one cheap, get a pin on bucket that is a take-off. The dealer is liable to have one of them hanging around in the weeds for scrap price. Take off the pin on ears and weld on a QA plate. It is easy. If I can do it you can do it!.

For the time and the materials most people in the industry would not undertake such a project. I hate to see things go to waste but for about 600 dollars vs the cost of the bucket, fixture to mount to the bucket and the time you are loosing.

I often tell my customers when purchasing a tractor that the 450 dollars when buying the tractor new to have the quick attach is 1,500 dollars they don't have to spend later! You will always get the 450 back at trade time!!!

/ Grand L 66" loader bucket #7  
If you want one cheap, get a pin on bucket that is a take-off. The dealer is liable to have one of them hanging around in the weeds for scrap price. Take off the pin on ears and weld on a QA plate. It is easy. If I can do it you can do it!.

For the time and the materials most people in the industry would not undertake such a project. I hate to see things go to waste but for about 600 dollars vs the cost of the bucket, fixture to mount to the bucket and the time you are loosing.

I often tell my customers when purchasing a tractor that the 450 dollars when buying the tractor new to have the quick attach is 1,500 dollars they don't have to spend later! You will always get the 450 back at trade time!!!

You are absolutely correct. Most people would not convert a pin on bucket, and I agree 100% you should just order SSQA when you buy the tractor. But so many buyers (including me) don't have the foresight to know that they need SSQA, (I do all I can to tell them) and the lower price of the pin on at initial purchase reigns supreme. But what can I say? I can lead the horses to water, but a lot of them I just can't make them take a drink.:)

/ Grand L 66" loader bucket
I ended up buying it and it's working great. Last year I bought the ssqa for my loader from the dealer. It was not offered on my la463 but was on the later loader offered on the 3400's. I want to say la523. I got it when I bought my Wildcats grapple . Thought I would convert my pin on bucket at some point but for $400 I paid for the 66" it was worth it to me. Swaps now seconds compared to previous and I didn't have to spend an entire day grinding ears off and welding a plate. I will say the new bucket is not HD as described, its square backed but for its primary function of moving horse manure it works fine. I am happy with the decision.

Thanks for the feedback!