Grand L6060 2 year review

/ Grand L6060 2 year review #1  

kthompson

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubotas B2710, M6800, L6060 cab, Volvo EC excavator, 2 ZTRs and various implements.
Well had it a few months over 2 years but wanted to share my thoughts on the tractor. I am not new to tractors, this is my third orange and have had Case and JD previously also. I did compare the Kuubota, JD 4000 series and to Yanmar, no idea the model but was same class and the L6060.

Tractor has front end loader, third function valve, four wheel drive, cab and HST. Not sure the four wheel drive and hst may be standard on the Grand.

If JD had a side window on the cab would have bought it. But with the only opening for ventilation on their cab being having the door open thought it was be a pain in more ways than one. This was when Covid had hit Kubota closing their factory for a short period but mine was shipped right before it was full closed.

Had one major issue with the tractor, the seat. I had concerns about it before I bought it and the dealer said it will be fine. Well, it was not. I weight about 240 and the standard seat would bottom out, easy. We split the cost of the air ride and they also covered the install cost which I felt was very fair. Told him later don't ever sell that quality of tractor WITHOUT the air ride. The air ride is well worth the price, if you will be using the tractor.

I have used it a fair amount with the bucket and a Wicked Grapple from Everything Attachment. The third function valve is Kubota's unit. I am pleased with the fel but the dealer was wrong when he said it will curl and lift at the same time, well with a load anyway. Not a big issue but, having been use to the JD (much larger machine) miss the ability to curl and lift at same time. The SSQA does not line up with the attachments 100%, not enough of issue to make any effort to do the work to, just have to be careful to verify it seated. However, the levers that operate the pins on the SSQA to me are weak. No pry bar, nothing other than my pushing on it bent the right one enough had to straighten and when get time will pull both off to flatten them. Again, comparing the JD 5525 FEL to the Grand's bucket is at best 50% smaller in capacity and probably lift capacity. Being fair have not removed the fel from the Kubota often but have found it is not as easy to remove or reinstalled as the JD5525 was. I thought nothing of dropping the fel on the JD but need a reason on the Kubota to. Then the tractor and fel will fit in places the JD would not, being the reason I went with this size tractor.

The grapple is amazing to me. When I first bought the tractor it was mostly used with grapple as were clearing a hedge row (need to go back and finish) both using it as rake to rake up little limbs pulling backwards and used it forward to bundle the bigger limbs. Now my only complaint on the Grapple which I have discussed with EA and they have their reason which I understand but...they have the back of their grapples open for visibility; I understand that advantage. However, before the tractor was three days old have torn out the wire mesh, I will call the grill. Only like $300 plus labor mistake. (only part I have found the price varied from one to another dealership.) Was very fortunate as the stick did not reach any of the coolers or radiator behind the wire. Did not use the grapple until has a solid for most part guard built and installed to protect the tractor. The grapple and tractor was able to handle logs up to about 12 inches with ease and length of about 20 feet. Was very pleased and impressed. I used the grapple setup about two months ago to pull an apple tree that was about 8 inches in diameter with decent ease. In clearing brushing stuff like to open the grapple fully and lift it all the way and drive into the brush enough the grapple is pulling the limbs and vines down then closing the grapple and backing out with the trash. Had work tomorrow on that for neighbor. Have used it to catch smaller trees, maybe 10 feet tall. Have learned to keep bumping the grapple closed when hauling a load.

Have a flail mower that is about five feet wide that with tilt up and down and move from straight behind the tractor to almost fully even with the rear tire (most of the cutter head is past the rear tire). It is I think Pheonix brand, the company I bought it from is in Dunn NC, Steve Carver. He did a great job helping match mower with the tractor. Since bought a 7-foot rear tiller. It handles the weight of the mower in any position you can put it in. When it is tilter up it and swung to the right does not extend as much as I wish it did past the cab. But the two work together great. Use it for pond bank and ditches and to undergrowth around fields. Now the issue with that combo is Kubota's rear remotes. I have a M6800 with rear remote and had Case with rear remotes and had JD with rear remotes: these feel like toys and are very sensitive to control. The levers are very short and honestly as much as I have used them still find them tricky. One is in or out and no float the other has float feature. I don't find the float with the rear mower really floats in my opinion as freely as it should. Have not has the tiller on this tractor, put it on my M6800 and only used it there.

The biggest other implement have used it with is a pull box blade, not a 3 pht model. Works decent and that is the hardest load to pull it has had. This is a box blade sold by Agri Supply at about $1,200 if memory is correct built for the compact tractors.

I really like the two speed within a range, drop to the slow one to load a grapple or blade and hit the high range to transport it. I really like the setting where you use the foot throttle and the engine speeds up with the throttle engagement. Really is great. A lot like driving an auto transmission car.

Cab is decent, wish it were larger, but tractor would have to be larger. Amazed there is no sun visor or one an option of one. It is a very nice package, but if I were looking again would really look at the JD in more careful thought to the lack of side windows on the cab. I do not like driving with a cab door open. Having just the back glass open does not give you any real ventilation. When it is decent weather, I rather have my windows open than run the air conditioner. I like to hear the implement run if pto powered.

Will work on pictures in few days. Hope this helps some of you. I appreciate all the input I got from several here on my decision, was very helpful.

/ Grand L6060 2 year review #2  
Thanks for your comments, I found them interesting.

I bought my similarly equipped L6060 at about the same and many of your comments ring true with my experiences. Like you, I ordered mine just prior to the factory shutdown but the dealer was lucky enough to find one in a neighboring state equipped the way I wanted.

I've had previous issues with Kubota seats on other models I've owned and ordered mine with the air ride seat option.

My only real complaint with the L6060 (and most other Kubota cab models for that matter) is the cable actuated FEL joystick. Due to the slight stretching of the cable mechanism, the action is far less positive that the "iron on iron" feel of the joystick on the open station models I own. I find fine feathering to be more difficult. Again, this complaint isn't directed at the L6060 specifically.

I find the HST whine on the L6060 to be louder than other Kubota HST models I've owned. The cab reduces it somewhat but I still wear ear protection anyway. This makes the cab radio all but useless. Again, this problem exists with other cabbed tractors as well and isn't specific to the L6060.

Overall though, I'm quite happy with the machine.

/ Grand L6060 2 year review #3  
I have 2 Grand L6060's. One is about 5 years old and has about 1300 hours and the other is about 4 months old and has about 120 hours. I also have a L5740 with about 2100 hours.

The older one has a loader, but the newer one does not.

Both have served me well and fit my needs better than other brands.

One of the main reasons I went with the L6060 is because it is the largest horsepower that has HST. It is also a Cat II.

The issue I've had with the older one is water in the fuel. This cost me $10,000 in repairs this past summer. There is a water separator bowl on the tractor, but I think there should be some sort of warning light to remind me to drain the water. Here is a link to the thread I started about this issue. Water in fuel causes $10,000 damage to my Kubota Grand L6060

/ Grand L6060 2 year review #4  
I have 2 Grand L6060's. One is about 5 years old and has about 1300 hours and the other is about 4 months old and has about 120 hours. I also have a L5740 with about 2100 hours.

The older one has a loader, but the newer one does not.

Both have served me well and fit my needs better than other brands.

One of the main reasons I went with the L6060 is because it is the largest horsepower that has HST. It is also a Cat II.

The issue I've had with the older one is water in the fuel. This cost me $10,000 in repairs this past summer. There is a water separator bowl on the tractor, but I think there should be some sort of warning light to remind me to drain the water. Here is a link to the thread I started about this issue. Water in fuel causes $10,000 damage to my Kubota Grand L6060
How does the L6060 compare to the L5740? Is there a lot of difference?

/ Grand L6060 2 year review #5  
How does the L6060 compare to the L5740? Is there a lot of difference?
There are significant differences, and many similarities.

The 6060 does not have a clutch pedal and the brakes are on the left side. This makes it a lot easier to use the brakes to assist with turning, which I do often.

The 6060 has a 'common rail' fuel system, which has some advantages, and some disadvantages. It is easier to start, and does not need to be 'primed' or 'bled' if you run out of fuel or change filters. But the 'common rail' system cannot handle any impurities in the fuel, such as water. Water in fuel is what cost me $10,000 in repairs.

I find that the cab on the 6060 is a little bigger than the 5740.

Those are the main differences that I can think of right now. Otherwise, they are very similar.

/ Grand L6060 2 year review

bdhsfz6, agree with the radio comment.

complete turf care, agree with the brakes on the left side is much better than on the right. JD's 4066 is 6 hp more than the 6060. Now if you mean the largest hp with hst in a Kubota L I agree.

/ Grand L6060 2 year review #7  

complete turf care, agree with the brakes on the left side is much better than on the right. JD's 4066 is 6 hp more than the 6060. Now if you mean the largest hp with hst in a Kubota L I agree.

I didn’t know that about the JD 4066. Does it have a Cat 2 or Cat 1 three point hitch?

/ Grand L6060 2 year review
JD specs show cat one only. It has been little over two years since I looked at them. One of the things like the most on JD over Kubota by far is the cab.

/ Grand L6060 2 year review #9  
JD specs show cat one only. It has been little over two years since I looked at them. One of the things like the most on JD over Kubota by far is the cab.
Yep, I just looked at the JD 4066 specs and it shows Cat 1 only. That is a deal breaker for me. I need Cat 2 for many of my attachments.

/ Grand L6060 2 year review #10  

I seriously considered the 4066 before buying my L6060.

4066 also has EPTO which I wanted but R4 tires only available with one piece, non adjustable (aside from side-to-side) rear wheels.

Deal breaker was arrogance and general unhelpfullness of JD dealer.