Graphic file ext.

/ Graphic file ext. #1  

Rowski

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 New Holland TN70DA with 32LC loader, 2000 New Holland 2120 with Curtis cab, 7309 loader
I use a gps mapping software program that can only print to a file as a .bmp. I need to use a few different programs to "edit" and "draw" with this file to make a final product. The other programs support this .bmp file. My qusetion is what type of file ext. to use to keep this orginal file as clean , crisp. and sharp as it was in the original gps mapping software? The other question is print it out and use a flat scanner than save as the new file extension. Is this better? I don't know to much about file extensions but I know .jpg doesn't cut it.

Thanks!!

/ Graphic file ext. #2  
Rowski,

Actually, it depends upon the rendering software more that the final output and it appears as though your GPS software is designed to go only one way. Unless, you have an Export utilty to convert it to another file format which then can be pumped into another application.

I have seen Visio, Photoshop, and other grahics/photo rendering software have difficulties with some file formats. I'm no graphics expert but have dabbled with them enough to know that you sometimes need to find an alternative route to get to where you want to be.

Terry

/ Graphic file ext. #3  
I think I'm missing something here. The original output is .bmp, and you say this is very clear and crisp. Then you say you have other programs that can work in this format. Why not just stick with .bmp? Is the problem that the other programs can't save the .bmp as cleanly as the original? Or are you trying for file size reductions or something similar? In short, what is the need to change formats at all?

/ Graphic file ext.
Bob

<font color=blue>The original output is .bmp, and you say this is very clear and crisp. Then you say you have other programs that can work in this format. </font color=blue>

Correct.

<font color=blue>Why not just stick with .bmp? </font color=blue>

I guess that's really my question. Is .bmp the best?

<font color=blue>Is the problem that the other programs can't save the .bmp as cleanly as the original? Or are you trying for file size reductions or something similar?</font color=blue>

I also do need to do resizing and enlarging. The map does not seem to print as clearly between the original mapping software print out (on paper) and the "photo editor" program print out on paper. Is this just the nature of the beast?

Also when working with graphics when do you need to use .bmp, .jpg, .gif, .tif, .emf, .xpm ETC.

Many thanks.

/ Graphic file ext. #5  
<font color=blue>I guess that's really my question. Is .bmp the best?</font color=blue>

I don't think so, but it's what your program gives you.. and from what you say it's more than acceptable for your application.

<font color=blue>I also do need to do resizing and enlarging. The map does not seem to print as clearly between the original mapping software print out (on paper) and the "photo editor" program print out on paper. Is this just the nature of the beast?</font color=blue>

I believe that, in general, if you enlarge the size of any picture, you will get more pixelation and it will generally appear less clear.

<font color=blue>Also when working with graphics when do you need to use .bmp, .jpg, .gif, .tif, .emf, .xpm ETC.</font color=blue>

Well, I'm not much of an expert about this stuff. My understanding is that .bmp is generally used by Windows, for things like icons and wallpaper, .jpg is kind of the current standard, .gif is the old CompuServe format and has the advantages of being small and allowing animation, .tif is a lossless format which is generally considered the "best" in terms of pure quality, but results in very large file sizes, and the others ones you mention I've never even heard of. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Since we are starting with a .bmp file of a given resolution, I would think that you would not be able to improve on that resolution.. you can sharpen pictures with various techniques, but you can't really add resolution that isn't there in the first place.

I'm probably wrong about much of the above, and hopefully someone who knows whereof he/she speaks will show up and give you a better answer! (Harv? John? You around?)

I doubt this helps much, but it's the best I can do. Sorry. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

/ Graphic file ext. #7  
Rowski,

<font color=blue>...... can only print to a file as a .bmp.</font color=blue>

Print to a file... aha... that might be the crux of the problem.

In my previous post, I suggest that you might look for an export utility in your GPS application. Also, are you "printing" or saving the file. If you are saving, have you tried to use the "Save as..." function. This may allow you to convert the file to another file type. Check it out.

Needless to say, going from one application to another can be very painful. You haven't described what your trying to edit either. If we had a more information, we might be able to provide some other solutions.

What kind of image are you manipulating?

What is the GPS software application?

What other applications are you trying to use?

Terry

/ Graphic file ext. #8  
Derek,
Infranview is a great freeware program that will convert almost anything to almost anything, and you can resize it etc..
It is available <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nonags.com/nonags/index.html>at this link</A>.Click on browse freeware on top left and find it under Graphics-Graphics Viewers.I use it and its a great program.

/ Graphic file ext. #9  
Rowski,

The only problem with BMP is that it doesn't do any kind of compression, and that blowing it up will just pixelate the image.

For a decent format that compresses without loss, use either GIF or PNG. PNG is the new standard for images that replaces GIF.

The JPG (or JPEG) uses a "lossy" compression method, so it's not advised for something that you want to manipulate later. However, many graphics programs allow you to adjust the amount of compression (and thus the amount of loss).

My favorite tool to do this is Paint Shop Pro. It deals with all those formats, and about 20 or so others.