Grapple build for Kubota L3301

/ Grapple build for Kubota L3301 #1  

Scott65

Silver Member
Tractor
2013 Kubota L3301
After much trial and error (more error) and a bunch of help from the fine members of TBN, I've nearly completed my grapple. It's not pretty, but its mostly functional. The only thing it lacks is paint, and I think I may make some stops to protect the cylinder from bottoming out when opening the grapple. But here ya go, hopefully it will help someone who is building their own.

Here's the first model. The cylinder was mounted high up based on the theory that it would have better clamping force with a greater downward angle. The problem was that it would only open about half of what was desired.

grapple03.jpggrapple01.jpggrapple02.jpg

So out with the old, I decided to redesign it a bit. It was suggested to lengthen the grapple arms. I never liked the generic square pivot mounts I made, so I remade them and used that opportunity to lengthen the arms without actually having to modify the arms themselves.

grapple07.jpggrapple04.jpggrapple08.jpggrapple05.jpggrapple06.jpg

It was obvious that the cylinder pivot had to come down as well, so I made the appropriate mounts to match the others.

grappleB.jpggrapple09.jpggrappleA.jpggrapple10.jpg

I was surprised, it will hold a pretty decent amount in the bucket if you can grab it just right. This was a pretty large pile of cactus. I believe they are called Century Plants. This pile was 3 or 4 of these plants, each of which when sprawled out was 4-6 feet in diameter. Obviously when I backhoe'd them up a couple months ago, the spears collapsed onto each other in the pile. But still, this was a pretty hefty chunk of stuff.

grappleC.jpg

I added beams across the bottoms of the tines so that I could pinch stuff and pull them around. My thought was pulling out dead branches from trees. But it worked well for the piles of this stuff (barn tin?). I was happy to see that even after beating on this thing, the bottom still lined up well enough to grab and hold a single piece.

grappleD.jpg

This project took me a while and had some added costs because I didn't have any of the hydraulics for this. I'll write up another thread on this process in case someone with this model of tractor has any issues as I did. But hydraulics aside, the grapple itself couldn't have cost more than $3-400 in material. That probably includes the cylinder. Not too bad considering what the commercial units cost, in my opinion

/ Grapple build for Kubota L3301 #3  
:thumbsup: Is that the same cylinder?

Don't worry about the cylinder bottoming out, they are made to do that without damage.

/ Grapple build for Kubota L3301
:thumbsup: Is that the same cylinder?

Don't worry about the cylinder bottoming out, they are made to do that without damage.

Yes sir, thanks to you! I was already shopping for a new, shorter cylinder until you made that suggestion. Good call, worked perfectly!

The reason to add some bump-stops was not only for the sake of the cylinder (thanks for clarifying that), but also so that it has something to open against with some pressure. When driving around with it open, without a stop of some sort, it flops around rather violently. I would like to eliminate that. I think it would be simple, just weld some tabs on the grapple arms where they would open against the top of the bucket, inside the mounting ears.

/ Grapple build for Kubota L3301 #5  
Yes sir, thanks to you! I was already shopping for a new, shorter cylinder until you made that suggestion. Good call, worked perfectly! Thanks, glad I could help.

The reason to add some bump-stops was not only for the sake of the cylinder (thanks for clarifying that), but also so that it has something to open against with some pressure. When driving around with it open, without a stop of some sort, it flops around rather violently. I would like to eliminate that. I think it would be simple, just weld some tabs on the grapple arms where they would open against the top of the bucket, inside the mounting ears.
When you said "I think I may make some stops to protect the cylinder from bottoming out when opening the grapple." , I thought you meant a stroke stop on the cylinder.

I have never heard of a floppy grapple. Have you used it enough to get all of the air out of it?

Cycle it full open and full closed several times, hold the valve until you hear the relief open both ways every time.

Watch the cylinder shaft when the grapple is flopping, the shaft should not move.

/ Grapple build for Kubota L3301
When you said "I think I may make some stops to protect the cylinder from bottoming out when opening the grapple." , I thought you meant a stroke stop on the cylinder.

I have never heard of a floppy grapple. Have you used it enough to get all of the air out of it?

Cycle it full open and full closed several times, hold the valve until you hear the relief open both ways every time.

Watch the cylinder shaft when the grapple is flopping, the shaft should not move.

I have used it pretty extensively over the last week or two. The air should be out. It's not the ram I don't believe. It's just the loose fit on all of the pins, due to my fabrication techniques. I believe the term is "eyeball it". Ha

So the purpose would be to have the ram pull the grapple open tightly against a bump stop to put tension against all of the joints and hold everything still. At the moment, I always close the grapple and apply force, that way is all tight and not flopping around. I just figure I'll do the same, just for when it's open rather than closed. It makes more sense: dump whatever you've grappled, go back for the next load, the grapple is already/still open from the last dumped load.

Nothing life changing, it's not hard to close it while traveling, reopen when back at a trash pile. I just figured it would make for a little more fluid operation

/ Grapple build for Kubota L3301 #7  
Yep, bump stops ought to work.

/ Grapple build for Kubota L3301 #8  
They make stroke adjustors that go on the piston to reduce the stroke... that might be better for you?

Great project. I can't decide if I want to add a grapple to my L3650 bucket, or if I should build a bigger one for the skid steer's rock bucket. I'm leaning towards the skid steer right now.

/ Grapple build for Kubota L3301 #9  
Here is one I built for my tractor. Works excellent from 20 ft logs to picking up firewood.
IMG00012-20110605-1812.jpg
20141018_154002.jpg

/ Grapple build for Kubota L3301 #10  
you wouldn't happen to have any drawings for this grapple

DJ