Grapple decision help

/ Grapple decision help #11  
I have had a wicked root grapple by everything attachments is what I would look at I have abused mine for years and still going strong

/ Grapple decision help #12  
What I recommend is a small L bottom and make a removable bracket that would slip up onto the lid to pickup and clamp a single log for cutting.

View attachment 537484

Thats actually a good idea. Never thought of that adding a bracket to clamp a single log. The L bottom would be super easy to build. It would kind of give me the best of both worlds. Large enough to haul several logs at a time yet versatile enough to just clamp one log.
Gave it some more thought. For clamping one log, something in the center of the lid:

download.jpg

Pivot forward:
pivot fwd.jpg

Or pivot up:

pivot.jpg

/ Grapple decision help #13  
I have had a wicked root grapple by everything attachments is what I would look at I have abused mine for years and still going strong

What he said. Best attachment I bought for my L3301 2 years ago. Used primarily for firewood carrying and processing like you describe but has done its share of stump removal and root grubbing around here with no complaints.

IMG_2014.JPGIMG_0408.JPG

/ Grapple decision help #14  
I might as well offer my suggestion since that's what you're looking for. I use a bucket style grapple with a single lid and it serves my needs because:

1. Now I have a smooth bucket 66".
2. I have a grapple for picking up brush or whatever.
3. I install my Ratchet Rake on the bucket for grubbing brush, then pick it up with the grapple.

It works well for my needs, but if I were trying to mostly lift logs and move around say 44" material I would be looking for another style pick up tool (grapple). I'd be like you and asking a lot of questions because not sure what I would need but the bucket grapple wouldn't be my choice. Oh yea, my bucket grapple is built to pick up logs it has the cut out sides for a log to lay in but still not my recommendation for what you'll be doing. Seems the grapple added to your forks would work and wouldn't be that hard to build.IMG_1105.JPG