Grapple for lawn tractor

/ Grapple for lawn tractor #1  

beenthere

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_425, JD_455 AWS, added JD_455, JD_110, JD_X485(sold)
   / Grapple for lawn tractor
I thought so too.
Just got off their website and a bit more than $500. Will call tomorrow to discuss buying.
A number of tasks around here (removing white spruce trees inter-planted between my red oaks, and also thinning my walnut plantation of the smaller trees) where there is a need to carry off tree stems and brush. Seeing as the grapple will fit my 400's and X485, leaves me with some good options. Best one would be the X485 because I don't have the mower deck on it (doesn't mow well).

Ordered and rec'd the grapple from Innovative Tractor Attachments, and have been very impressed with what it can do..
Fit and finish is top notch, and used it to work through a good size pile of logs I had decked up for bucking and splitting.
I buck to 18 inch lengths and grabbing (or is that grappling :) ) a log from the pile and lifting it to cut a block off each end, then re-grabbing the end block to knock off the remaining two proved to be with very little physical effort (after two days sawing and splitting I was thankful to have the help).
Then used the grapple to remove some old bushes, roots and all. A couple video to show the results.
1 39 - YouTube
Removing bushes - YouTube

/ Grapple for lawn tractor #6  
Nice! Any problems seeing the lower part of the grapple from the seat?

/ Grapple for lawn tractor #7  
Very impressed. Any concern about overloading the front axle? That log 6' seemed like a lot of weight to lift.

I found no problem seeing the lower part of the grapple from the seat. This one came with the optional extensions that make it much easier. Attached a short video taken from the seat.. so can see the ends of the grapple.

Grappling logs - YouTube

And no concern about the front axle.. that 7 1/2' ash log weighs out around 500 lbs and balanced pretty good with just three 42 lb weights on the rear.. plan to add one more.
I was surprised that the hydraulics had the oomph to lift that log, but this tractor is built for a FEL so know it is engineered for that front weight.
I had all the branches and top logs from an oak tree I cut down that ended up in my lawn. Knocked it apart with the chainsaw and then picked it apart and carried it off to the woods with the grapple.. Saved the lawn from having the 4300 drive on it..

/ Grapple for lawn tractor #9  
In your second video it looks like it fills up with dirt and mulch. How do you get it out?

Kick it out.. or shake it out with hydraulics.. This was pretty wet dirt so clumped up a bit. The main thing was it ripped out the bushes, roots and all. :dance1: