Grapple Grapple for pulling out fence posts?

/ Grapple for pulling out fence posts? #1  

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
I have been wanting to remove a bunch of 3-plank horse fencing for about 4 years now. Just never got around to it. I have an open jaw type grapple; like the Millonzi type. I absolutely love it for picking up and moving brush. It is great. But it is essentially impossible to pull a fence post out of the ground. I had considered getting a 4-n-1 bucket. That would be the perfect implement! But I would likely not use it much after the fence posts were gone. Then I started thinking, what about an open faced clamshell type grapple? That seems like it would work to move brush AND pull up fence posts! Has anyone had any experience with this? What is the tine spacing on the Borgford BoDozer grapple? And if the consensus is that a clamshell grapple is superior does anyone want to buy a used Markham Welding heavy duty grapple rake?:D

Attachments

• Grapple (Medium).jpg
    Grapple (Medium).jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 251
  • BigMouth (Medium).JPG
    BigMouth (Medium).JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 222
  • Yawn (Medium).JPG
    Yawn (Medium).JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 210
  • FencePost (Medium).jpg
    FencePost (Medium).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 323
   / Grapple for pulling out fence posts? #2  
I would figure if you can weld or bolt a C on your bucket, forming a D with the edge of your bucket, you could slide that sucker down the post, tilt the bucket so you have good grip and lift. I've never tried it myself, but might work.

/ Grapple for pulling out fence posts? #4  
Maybe bolt some strap or something on the end of your existing top grapple clamp so that it would fit over the post and then be able to wedge it to pull the post out.:confused: Me, I just use chain, a little more work, but much more economical.

/ Grapple for pulling out fence posts?
MtnViewRanch said:
Maybe bolt some strap or something on the end of your existing top grapple clamp so that it would fit over the post and then be able to wedge it to pull the post out.:confused: Me, I just use chain, a little more work, but much more economical.

Yeah, I've used a chain some. Works well. You either have to have another person to wrap the chain or spend a lot of time getting on and off the tractor doing it yourself. I just want to be able to drive along the fence line going 'pop-pop-pop-pop' pulling up fence posts without ever leaving the seat logging on more seat time!;)

/ Grapple for pulling out fence posts? #6  
How about a tree shear, cut part way through, pull post, then retract shear blade. Easy, except on the wallet. I take it that there is no concrete around the poles?

/ Grapple for pulling out fence posts?
MtnViewRanch said:
How about a tree shear, cut part way through, pull post, then retract shear blade. Easy, except on the wallet.

Well that would put me back at purchasing a new implement that is so specialized I may not use it for anything else. . .like a 4n1 bucket.

I take it that there is no concrete around the poles?

Nope.

/ Grapple for pulling out fence posts? #8  
Glowplug,

Before spending much money on another implement, try temporarily welding or bolting a sturdy piece of angle iron between the 2 tips of one grapple arm. (making the "V" solid) From your picture, it looks like you could pinch a post between the new angle iron and the cross supports that connect the tines of the lower jaw near their tips. And it would be off to the side where you could see it.

John

/ Grapple for pulling out fence posts? #9  
I had the same situation, about a mile of fence posts I want to get out of the ground.

I considered buying this thing:
http://www.koykermfg.com/Manuals/PostPuller.pdf

... but wanted to try yanking them out with a chain and slip hook first. I found the chain snatch really only worked on smaller posts that I had first loosened up by pushing them around with the FEL. And as mentioned above, it was a hassle getting on and off to rig up the chain on each post (then un-rig it when I was done.

My old fence was well built. The farmer who built it put the thick ends of the posts in the ground and after 30 years of settling, those black locusts posts weren't going any where. Ultimately I had to settle for just pushing the posts over with my FEL. Sure it left the post holes a little larger than if I could have yanked them straight up, but a holes a hole, and I'll have to fill it anyway.

/ Grapple for pulling out fence posts? #10  
Glowplug said:
I have been wanting to remove a bunch of 3-plank horse fencing for about 4 years now. Just never got around to it. I have an open jaw type grapple; like the Millonzi type. I absolutely love it for picking up and moving brush. It is great. But it is essentially impossible to pull a fence post out of the ground. I had considered getting a 4-n-1 bucket. That would be the perfect implement! But I would likely not use it much after the fence posts were gone. Then I started thinking, what about an open faced clamshell type grapple? That seems like it would work to move brush AND pull up fence posts! Has anyone had any experience with this? What is the tine spacing on the Borgford BoDozer grapple? And if the consensus is that a clamshell grapple is superior does anyone want to buy a used Markham Welding heavy duty grapple rake?:D

I'm in the opposite position. I move a lot of dirt and move whole logs around. I bought the 4n1 bucket. I pulled out some fencing that I had been avoiding for the last three years. Pretty slick.

However, I have a couple of brush piles to be moved and I am trying to figure out how to convince the wife that I need to spend a couple thousand more dollars. I started moving brush with the 4n1 and quickly got frustrated.

If you have the cash to buy the 4n1, I think you find uses for it. Even for strait dirt moving, it is a better tool. It doesn't replace a grapple though.