Grapple Hydraulic Fluid

/ Grapple Hydraulic Fluid #1  

JLH4

Silver Member
Tractor
Rural King - RK24
I just installed a new grapple on my FEL and it uses AW32 fluid which I got at Lowes, of all places. My problem is that the fluid is clear and I can't see the level on the dip stick :confused3:. Is there anything I can put into the fluid to give it some color and not mess up the fluid?:confused2:

/ Grapple Hydraulic Fluid #2  
Deere sells dye for that purpose, yes.

/ Grapple Hydraulic Fluid #3  
Roughing up the dip stick with coarse sand paper should help you see the liquid line.

/ Grapple Hydraulic Fluid #4  
Clean the dip stick with a dry rag. Reinsert - hold dip stick up to the light - squint real hard - Ah, Ha - there is the almost invisible line on the dip stick.

/ Grapple Hydraulic Fluid #5  
I just installed a new grapple on my FEL and it uses AW32 fluid which I got at Lowes, of all places. My problem is that the fluid is clear and I can't see the level on the dip stick :confused3:. Is there anything I can put into the fluid to give it some color and not mess up the fluid?:confused2:

What fluid are we talking about? Your Grapple is not run off of the tractors hydraulics?

/ Grapple Hydraulic Fluid #6  
That was my thought also, geoduck. But there is the chance to learn something new here. I await an answer.

I certainly hope he didn't change all the hydraulic fluid in his tractor just to satisfy the weird-a*sed needs of a new grapple.

The one or two hydraulic cylinders on a grapple will function on any acceptable hydraulic fluid. The tractor hydraulics may not.

Last edited:
   / Grapple Hydraulic Fluid
This is a grapple with a completely separate third function. It's from BucketSolutions.com The grapple is independent of the FEL's hydraulics. Works nice I just need to see the fluid level. I've tried ruffing up the dip stick, looking at it in the bright sun, marking the stick with magic marker and other stuff, nothing works very well. Davrow, what is the name of the stuff from Deere?
Thanks