Grapple Grapple Options?

/ Grapple Options? #1  

Rowski

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 New Holland TN70DA with 32LC loader, 2000 New Holland 2120 with Curtis cab, 7309 loader
I been thinking about a "grapple type" setup for my FEL. I've searched the forum and have found the Power Trac guys seem to have a handle on it. But not really much for tractors. There have been some post but not really answering my questions.

My primary used would be for brush, rotten wood, logs, etc. Basically anything that doesn't go into my chipper. I would like to keep my bucket and bolt on something. I use my backhoe with a thumb to gather the stuff into a pile. But transporting the stuff is harder and more labor intensive. I have looked at the ATI setup. Does anybody have one have that style? I would like a true "root grapple" but they seem pricey.

If the grapple setup is strong enough I would like to use the grapple for field stone work. I would not mind spend a little extra more to get something that might work for stones. I'm also capable of doing my own fabrication work, just not making the plans.

Any other ideas?

/ Grapple Options? #2  
I have a Hydraulic Grapple Rake made by AnBo. It is a great piece of equipment, built heavy, I don't think it could be bent up. It will carry brush, logs, stumps, stones, and would probably work for your field stone work. It is kinda pricey, but considering the work it has done for me, clearing my 10 acres of woods, it is money well spent. I have mine on a skid-steer quick attach setup, so it only take a few minutes to change between this and my 4in1 bucket on my Kubota 5030.

Kevin

/ Grapple Options?
Called ATI and they have a bolt on grapple. It bolts on to the top of your bucket. They recommned only using it to work with brush. If used with rocks only to keep them in the the bucket. They say people do use them to pick up rocks (clam shell) but they aren't really ment for that. Price just under $1k. Does not include any aux hydraulics, I need to have them, wich I do.

Called AnBo. Very nice and friendly. AWESOME product. Lighter weight than a bucket with a bolt on grapple. Very high clamping force. Most importantly very rugged. Price $2700 delivered. Its a 5.5 FT wide. Weight is about 650 LBS.

I think this style (root grapple) is more suited for my needs. But more than double what I wanted to spend. I'll keep looking... and post my findings.

Comment and ideas welcome!

Kevin

What size do you have?

Thank you.

/ Grapple Options? #5  
Derek,
Have you thought about building your own?

/ Grapple Options? #6  
i cant get on the anbo site, did a google search still no joy.
alex

/ Grapple Options?
It worked yesterday AM, nothing the the PM even late. This AM it is working. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Here's a picture fromthe Anbo site:
row_3_grapple_3.jpg

row_5_grapple_1.jpg

Link to .pdf file on AnBo grapple

/ Grapple Options?
Yes, I have. When I talked with AnBo the mentioned that they use AR400 and T-1 steel (very hard steel). They told me that the reason they use that steel is to be able to use more tines and have a lighter (in weight, not ruggness) grapple that would not decrease your payload. So I do not know how hard it is to work with this steel, cutting and welding. I guess I could use regular mild steel but I'm not sure I can make strong enough and still have it at a decent weight. I'm thinking that with an attachment like this you would not want to decrease your payload capacity?

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Grapple Options? #9  
I too wanted a grapple rake, but felt that the cost was more than my wallet would bear. I looked at many sites to get ideas and have decided to build my own out of 1/2" steel straps. The design is really pretty simple, and I am kind of just freewheeling as I go along. I will post pictures as I get it more together.
Larry

/ Grapple Options? #10  
Derek,

I have the 72" model, this matches the width of my tractor, and seems to work well. These grapples are a tad bit on the heavy side, but if I put my brush hog on the rear of tractor, things seems to work better.