Grapple versus Grape Vines

/ Grapple versus Grape Vines #1  

AndyMA

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 2120 , Kubota MX5200 , Deere X748SE. 1956 Economy Tractor
If you haven’t tangles with an old grape vine you have no idea how strong they are

Could easily flip my MX 5200

IMG_5789.JPG
IMG_5786.JPG
IMG_5785.JPG
IMG_5783.JPG

/ Grapple versus Grape Vines #2  
I grabbed onto grape vines with the backhoe and thumb. Then drive forward while swaying the boom back and forth. Must have looked like a dinosaur ripping it apart. I lost traction a few times but ultimately prevailed.

/ Grapple versus Grape Vines #3  
Lordy - looks like you are attacking a jungle. I have 80 acres. I have ancient Ponderosa pines. The only other "stuff" - bunch grass and Buck brush. Buck brush will max out at two feet high and big around as your yellow lead pencil.

/ Grapple versus Grape Vines #4  
I agree grape vines are tuff. Have lots of them. Some ancient ones almost big enough to mill for lumber!! Always have to be careful if you snag one what they can bring down on you. Tenacious tendril rascals love to wrap around axles, grab undercarriage and eat auxiliary light fixtures.

/ Grapple versus Grape Vines #5  
I had poison ivy vines like that. I found the base of vines and sawed them off. I then sprayed the base with glyphosate/24d. I wasn't in a hurry to get them out of the trees. After a couple years you could hardly tell the vines had ever been there.

/ Grapple versus Grape Vines #6  
We have huge ones here also. I just cut them off at the base, wait a few months. They die and can be pulled down much easier.

/ Grapple versus Grape Vines #7  
Cut one the other day about 6" across, been using a pole saw to cut them high and later a brush cutter to get them close to the ground.

/ Grapple versus Grape Vines #8  
Divide and conquer has worked for me...though some go 40 and 50 feet up into the trees.

Multiflora roses can be tenacious also...and they actively search out and attack tractor operators!

As many have said, once cut from the root, both will eventually let go of their stranglehold.

I cleaned up a couple acre lot belonging to my 80 year old neighbor and found some of her trees were dead because the vines were so dense.