Grapple width

/ Grapple width #11  
I was interested in your grapples but the 4 month wait has me looking elsewhere. Looks like your company makes really sturdy implements.
I understand that some can't wait.

Our new factory expansion should help remedy it, but that can't happen overnight, either.

Wicked Toothbar is another great addition to enhance your bucket's strength and ability. Those have been shipping within 3ish weeks or so, and there's a very nice sale price right now!
Travis

WickedGOs.jpg

/ Grapple width #12  
To me time is money so the initial cost of the implement is a very small part of the cost of using the implement over its lifetime. The faster I can get the work done the more I can get done. I run a 72" root rake which is as wide as the tractor's wheels so everything in the path of the tractor gets cleaned each pass. I expect this grapple/ root rake to work hard for the life of the tractor and still be in great shape. After six years of use and clearing several acres of brush, trees, and rocks, it looks and works great. The only issue I had was bees liked to nest in the steel tubes where the hydraulic hoses run to protect the hoses. A can of insulating foam solved that problem.

Attachments

• 20200623- M59+Grapple.jpg
    20200623- M59+Grapple.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 92
  • IMAG0685- Bldg site logs.jpg
    IMAG0685- Bldg site logs.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 102
  • grapple greasable pivots.jpg
    grapple greasable pivots.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 94
  • Root rake pengo teeth.jpg
    Root rake pengo teeth.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 100
  • Five eigths inch tines.jpg
    Five eigths inch tines.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
   / Grapple width #13  
I agree with oosik that you will be picking up material that will stick out both sides of the grapple anyway. The grapple needs to be wide enough to cover your loader arms, but not necessarily as wide as the wheel width.

The added weight of a wider grapple might not be what you actually want. The local city government bought a grapple that was too heavy and ended up chopping off both ends.

/ Grapple width #14  
Like a narrower than tractor grapple in the woods. Had a 72” grapple on 84” wide tractor that worked just fine. 30 year old grapple still working on a smaller M59. Buy once cry once enjoy a lifetime. The labor its’ saved is tremendous. Best hand I ever hired!

/ Grapple width #15  
I've been looking to get a grapple (which isn't easy with the backorder situation) for my LS MT3 tractor and have been pondering the pros and cons of the width I should buy. I'm looking at getting a rake grapple and have mostly looked at grapples between 60-72". My tractor front tire track width is 72". I'm also trying to keep the weight of the grapple down so I can actually lift more. I'm thinking a 66" would work OK. Is there some advantage on going wider?
On the width No I don't think so, a bit narrower really has no drawbacks imo. Run a 66 inch L type on my 76" wide tractor and It is about right, but if it had been a few inches narrower it would have been fine as well.

I see LS sells grapples- maybe they have what you want in stock? Or is that what you were referring to with back orders?
Right now seems availability is the main problem I have run into as well with all kinds of things.

I think you will be happy with most any grapple versus none. I know mine made me wonder how I got along without it and I liked it so much that when I bought a Ford backhoe recently, one of my first purchases was a heavy duty thumb for it as well.

Here is hoping you can source one in the near future. they really are a game changer for any tractor.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Grapple width #16  
Width depends on how you use it.
Wide as tractor
- can grab more volume of brush
- good if used as a rake as it cleans up the width of the tractor.

Narrower
- uses less of loader rating you can carry heavier loads
- more maneuverable in the woods
- can grab a branch / log that is at more of an angle without hitting the open lid
- penetrates into brush piles easier

I have a 66" grapple on a 78" tractor. For me I have never had a need for a wider grapple. They are sure nice to have.

/ Grapple width #17  
So our grapple is only 48" wide... It is not the heaviest of duty unit, but it fit our needs. I think it really depends on what you are going to use it for. We use ours for moving brush pile, moving rocks, moving stumps that have been removed, & moving logs. We don't do a lot of ground engagement work with ours & no one abuses it (well I might but...). I like that it is narrow as it gets into places I can not get the bucket into... It weighs less, which means we can lift more. There has been a lot of great info given on this thread... but you really need to decide how you are going to use the grapple / what for to know what is right for you.

Size & weight were a concern for us due to our tractor lift capacities... We are happy with a smaller width grapple.

/ Grapple width #18  
I have a 55" grapple for my L4701. Works great - I can see what I need to, and while I could see maybe preferring the 60", the extra 5" wouldn't affect function nor my ability to see where it is/how it's grabbing things.

One thing I took into consideration and didn't see mentioned (maybe I missed it) is the tine spacing. I went with the 55" over the 60" initially because the tine spacing was closer, so I knew it'd work better for smaller brush. And as others have said, it maximizes lift capacity and makes it more manuverable in tight spaces/amongst the tress

/ Grapple width #19  
I tried a cheap - $1800 -grapple & it folded like tinfoil picking up RR timbers; so I took it apart and just use if for a rock rake/bucket
Then I bought and waited 14weeks- for my EA Wicked Root grapple 60" Dual lids & this sucker is sturdy and highly capable....Certainly worth the wait. W Antifreeze&water in the rear tires, it lifted a 30'x24" cedar to the burn pile, and is great for downing & moving trees in the woods up to 12"+.
I would suggest going with the width of your tractor or one size narrower for mobility in tighter spaces....Would not recommend going any wider than your tractor- totally unnecessary
20220305_171355.jpg

/ Grapple width #20  
On the width No I don't think so, a bit narrower really has no drawbacks imo. Run a 66 inch L type on my 76" wide tractor and It is about right, but if it had been a few inches narrower it would have been fine as well.

I see LS sells grapples- maybe they have what you want in stock? Or is that what you were referring to with back orders?
Right now seems availability is the main problem I have run into as well with all kinds of things.

I think you will be happy with most any grapple versus none. I know mine made me wonder how I got along without it and I liked it so much that when I bought a Ford backhoe recently, one of my first purchases was a heavy duty thumb for it as well.

Here is hoping you can source one in the near future. they really are a game changer for any tractor.
Grapples are stocked at many places. Many of them are good and stout and I would not pay all that much attention to brand. Do some searching within a couple hours drive and then go look at the actual grapple in person. About width: I have found that nearly all the time I am picking up limbs and tree trunks, etc. and rarely would a wider grapple be of any help. The narrower grapple is noticeably more maneuverable. Only if you are scraping a wide area would the wider one be better -- even then if you have a lot of scraping to do use a landscaping rake.

I bought my Wildcat model at Auctions Done Right! - McGrew Equipment in PA. They seem to stock a lot of these. Not just an auction place. I have to think there are similar places within a couple hour drive of you there in Wis that stock grapples. I found a quick pickup truck trip does the trick (they fit in the bed OK) and I like seeing what I am getting before buying it.

Last edited: