Grapples for Bx23s, or thumb?

/ Grapples for Bx23s, or thumb? #1  

wyowy

Tractor
MF1740
buying a BX23S for brush work. I have a MF 1740M but it's a little large for the areas I will be working in. I am researching grapples to see what will work best with the BX. I dont have the 3rd function hydraulics yet and I understand they are difficult like everything else. One option I'm looking at is adding a thumb to the bucket? it would have to be stationery at this point. As to grapples I've seen good things about the Precision 322 mini havent tried to source anything yet or check prices. I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks

/ Grapples for Bx23s, or thumb? #2  
buying a BX23S for brush work. I have a MF 1740M but it's a little large for the areas I will be working in. I am researching grapples to see what will work best with the BX. I dont have the 3rd function hydraulics yet and I understand they are difficult like everything else. One option I'm looking at is adding a thumb to the bucket? it would have to be stationery at this point. As to grapples I've seen good things about the Precision 322 mini havent tried to source anything yet or check prices. I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks

I am not sure that one can substitute the other. Grapples are great at moving brush and all sorts of things. Just be careful that you pay attention to getting some guards for the front end and possibly the underside depending on how aggressive you want to get. Branches are amazingly good at poking through things like grills and radiators and even grabbing onto things like hydraulic lines. Just a word of caution.

Backhoe thumbs are worth their weight in gold as far as I'm concerned. Even if it is a mechanical one. Mechanical thumbs are easy to put on, especially if you already have the mount at the top of the arm. They are also relatively cheap and no need to add hydraulics.

I would suggest if you are going to get the grapple that you also get the mechanical thumb!!

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
   / Grapples for Bx23s, or thumb?
thanks. can you recommend an after market thumb or company I can contact.

/ Grapples for Bx23s, or thumb? #4  
I have had a Green's Machine Thumb for ten years or so;that with a tooth-bar make a decent "poor man's grapple".Doesn't open as far as a full grapple but weighs less.Best thing I ever purchased for my tractor.Still need the third function(I also use mine for a snow-plow).

/ Grapples for Bx23s, or thumb? #5  
I am wondering a little about what you are doing... I can understand that the 1740 may be a little too large and unwieldy for whatever you're into but I am skeptical about getting a BX to do the job. Relatively few people have a grapple on a BX. Landpride makes some for the BX but these are NOT using skid-steer-compatible SSA quick connects.
You may well know a LOT about the BX23S and have solid reasons for going that way. You may already have committed to getting one.
I've owned (or bought for family) 4 BX machines and to me they are a little light in the loafers for grapple work of any substantial kind.

Can you describe a bit more about your intended grapple work and limited space, etc. ?

Overstepping my bounds (and certainly with little/no knowledge of your situation) I suggest:
1) Find a subcompact tractor just a tad larger than the BX23S that has 2 things: A common and often found remote hydraulic set / third function. And a SSA quick connect for the grapple and bucket and whatever else you put up there.
2) The BX23S connections for buckets and grapples are proprietary one-brand stuff for Kubota unless you found an exception. While I love Kubota I would not want that circumstance.
3) There are a lot of good little machines (several brands including Kubota) that are just a little bigger, typically available with the SSA loader interface, commonly used with third function goodies on the FEL, etc. To me you are better off that way.

Your MF1740 being a 40 horse and weighing 3400 to 3800 lbs and 71" wheelbase versus a BX23S with a 55" wheelbase, 1600 lbs... just wondering if the 1600lb guy will do what you want done with a grapple. Lift capacity is around 400 to 500 lbs with the BX loader. Not a heck of a lot. OBTW, I use a grapple on a larger MF tractor and find it so useful for so many things ... brush and debris and logs and etc.... you already have a grapple for the MF1740?

End of my wanderings...good luck with your venture.

You have provided lots of great info here. I have been wanting the BX for several years for cleaning out some ditches, miscellaneous small space jobs. I do not have the BX yet but have purchased it. I've had the MF for about a year and half and have been very happy up until had some kind of filter issue that was covered 100% warranty. It was away (waiting for parts) for 5.5 months. the snowblower was major but also, moving dirt rocks etc. Its a little big and heavy to get into the area where I want to clean ditches. the area is next to a pond very rocky with lots of dead cottonwood trees. The BX seems like it will be easier for smaller jobs but mostly the small backhoe...ditches, planting trees, digging holes etc.

I have 17 acres, 8 of those hay field which I get someone else to put up. I thought the BX was a good option for small house jobs and also desirable enough that I could sell if didnt work. I have been looking for a grapple for the MF and havent pulled the trigger. the grapple for the BX was just a thought...an since I havent received it yet, im exploring options.

The MF was my first tractor and im an old dog learning new tricks so not very aggressive in my projects.

Anything you can add please let me know. I appreciate experience of others. any recommendations on implements as well.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Grapples for Bx23s, or thumb? #7  
I have a BX24 and it is ideal for me. Just remember to look at the weight of your chosen grapple. If it is being added on to the bucket, then you are reducing your lifting capability by that amount. If it is a quick attach, compare the weight of the bucket versus the grapple to see what lifting capability is lost.

Doug in SW IA

/ Grapples for Bx23s, or thumb? #8  
The specs I saw were that the QA loader lift capacity is 613 lbs. A very light grapple is going to be 150-200 lbs, and I don't even know if any of them actually fit the BX23s.

Need to be extremely careful messing with ditches because of the potential for a rollover.

The specs I saw were that the QA loader lift capacity is 613 lbs. A very light grapple is going to be 150-200 lbs, and I don't even know if any of them actually fit the BX23s.

Need to be extremely careful messing with ditches because of the potential for a rollover.
yes. thanks for that. I've been studying the area. it's not a huge ditch but is a little marshy. relatively level so will figure out how to straddle. it's more of a trench. I have the 12" bucket and wish it was the smaller version. thanks.

I have a BX24 and it is ideal for me. Just remember to look at the weight of your chosen grapple. If it is being added on to the bucket, then you are reducing your lifting capability by that amount. If it is a quick attach, compare the weight of the bucket versus the grapple to see what lifting capability is lost.

Doug in SW IA
im getting much good feedback and seems like people agree the BX is a little light for much of a grapple. we still have snow and wind here so it's going to be awhile before I can see what the winter has left. thanks