Grappling fun - A Picture Thread....

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #161  
Okay. I thought it might be high enough. Never mind.

I should have mentioned that I have a sunshade so the view from a camera mounted under the ROPS would simply duplicate exactly the perspective I already get.

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread....
I would MUCH prefer to have both a standard bucket and a grapple than a single 4n1
I agree with this statement as well. I have operated full sized loader/backhoes with the 4 in 1, and I find it much less useful that even my small tractor with grapple.

but if you are trailering to a job site and cannot take two implements, a 4n1 can certainly be very handy.
On the rare occasion that I need my bucket on a job, I carry it inside the grapple. It doesn't take up any more space than the grapple alone. Even considering the time it takes to swap buckets/grapple when needed, it's still far more efficient than the 4 in 1.
The 4 in 1 really is helpful when trying to get that last bit of material however.

Unfortunately, no pics of it loaded on the trailer.
i-Fz2Lwfm-XL.jpg

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #163  
I agree with this statement as well. I have operated full sized loader/backhoes with the 4 in 1, and I find it much less useful that even my small tractor with grapple.

On the rare occasion that I need my bucket on a job, I carry it inside the grapple. It doesn't take up any more space than the grapple alone. Even considering the time it takes to swap buckets/grapple when needed, it's still far more efficient than the 4 in 1.
The 4 in 1 really is helpful when trying to get that last bit of material however.

Unfortunately, no pics of it loaded on the trailer.
View attachment 401972

x2 on this, the 4in1 doesn't even come close as a grapple. It's really not a super useful tool on a tractor IMHO. The only job I found the 4in1 a real asset for was picking up spoils after Harley raking. But with the cost of the bucket a standard bucket and hand shovel would have been a much better financial choice.

Matt

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #164  
x2 on this, the 4in1 doesn't even come close as a grapple. It's really not a super useful tool on a tractor IMHO. The only job I found the 4in1 a real asset for was picking up spoils after Harley raking. But with the cost of the bucket a standard bucket and hand shovel would have been a much better financial choice.

Matt

Ditto...ditto - here. That's why I sold my 4in1: and kept my grapple!

AKfish

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #165  
Hi Piston:
I have a question, what are the costs of a unit like yours and what is entailed with installing it, more hydraulics, price etc.

Thanks
Wayne

From your signature it appears your tractor is already set up for a backhoe so I presume you have existing rear remotes. If that is true then the cost of installing a grapple is essentially the cost of the grapple plus two lengths of 3/8" hydraulic hose and fittings. I used rear remotes to control the grapple on the tractor in my avatar and liked that system very much. I currently have a diverter valve that would add about $700 to the cost and frankly it is not worth the upcharge. No better functionality at all over simply using the rear remote control lever. A 48" light duty grapple (all you need) similar to the one in my avatar will cost you about $1100-1300 these days. The hydraulic hoses and fittings from a discount internet supplier (Surplus Supply) would be about $100-150 or maybe up to $200 from a local hydraulic shop. I bought my grapple many moons ago and the manufacturer is out of business but if I were buying today for a L3800, I'd look real closely at the Everything Attachments 50" (?52") light duty grapple. Very nicely designed and built and perfect for a midsized light tractor like yours.

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #166  
Thank You Island Tractor for the very useful information!!
Look around at auctions, i picked up an orphaned "new" versatech 66" for 800$ and its been a bruteimage.jpg

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #167  
Look around at auctions, i picked up an orphaned "new" versatech 66" for 800$ and its been a bruteView attachment 403030

He has the LA524 loader and would probably be better off with a lighter duty grapple unless he finds a CL bargain like you did. I think the versatech weighs something like 500 lbs or more which would put a pretty big crimp into his net lift capacity. As I recall the LA524 lifts only about 1200lbs to full height so is about half the lift capacity of the Kioti. The EA light duty weighs less than 300lbs. My Millonzi light duty 48 weighs about 300lbs and is currently mounted on a Kioti DK40se. I've always used it appropriately in the sense of lining up the load so as not to twist either the grapple or FEL but other than that precaution, I've beat the snot out of my grapple and it is going strong after 8 years. Some battle scars yes, but fully functional and my favorite implement.

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread....
I agree with Island Tractors comments regarding the grapple. I think the everything attachments 50" would suit you real well.

Do you actually have rear remotes? Or just power beyond for your backhoe? That will make a difference in cost and what is involved but regardless even having just the power beyond makes it much easier to add rear remotes.

I didn't have any hydraulic valves at the back (I didn't need them for my grapple, I had other needs) and it was a fair amount of time and money but a great learning experience for me to add my own. If your interested in what I did, click the link in my sig below.

Another way to operate the grapple, is you can add a diverter for your FEL joystick and use the joystick to operate the grapple open and close. A third option is to install an electric solenoid third function switch, which is what I did.

I've operated all three, and I like either the diverter setup, or the third function. It's more money but in my opinion a much better setup. It's not needed, it's just nice!

A lot of the setup depends on personal preference, what you like and prefer, might be different than what we like or prefer.

I'm not sure what part of NH your in, but if your near Alton Bay I'd be happy to let you operate my tractor and mess around with the grapple sometime. I know we are in the wrong season right now but I use the grapple year round so it doesn't matter much to me. :)

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #169  
He has the LA524 loader and would probably be better off with a lighter duty grapple unless he finds a CL bargain like you did. I think the versatech weighs something like 500 lbs or more which would put a pretty big crimp into his net lift capacity. As I recall the LA524 lifts only about 1200lbs to full height so is about half the lift capacity of the Kioti.

Great point, was only thinking price, mine is probably a little less than 500 lbs, 3 of us put it in my silverado, guessing 400 lb, but lift would still be impacted on tractor in question.

This is why TBN is so great, all angles are covered by a broad community!:drink:

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #170  
Thank you IslandTractor, Msamt, & Piston, these forums are a tremendous help as is all of your input. In looking at different Grapples some have one upper grip and others have two. Do any of you know the pro and cons of them? I like the idea of trying to find a great deal at a function like an auction, ( the more money saved the more to buy later ) but my wife, ( you gotta love her ) says she prefer that I buy new because of warranty and " tech support ".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you all again.
Wayne

Here is a good thread from last year on grapples: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/295014-need-help-deciding-grapple.html