Grappling fun - A Picture Thread....

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #541  
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Xfaxman
Haven't found one too heavy. It would have to weigh over 4500 pounds. >

This one would have been close. Over 40 inches on the both ends and 11 feet long.
image-227995027.jpg
Yep, that is a big-un!!

When I moved this one to the burn pile I had the bigger, heavier Monster Grapple on the V417.

The rear got a little light when I extended the boom, guess I should have gone all the way out to see if the wheels would come off of the ground.

P9160002.JPG

P9160009.JPG

Too late to try it now. :D

P9160016.JPG

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #542  
Got my WR Long valve installed today. Pretty easy job, not really 100% happy with the mount that was supplied with the kit. And the factory bolts that had to be removed to install the mounts, ended up being to short to re use. Other than that it is definitely a DIY job. Now need the grapple. ��

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #543  
Got my WR Long valve installed today. Pretty easy job, not really 100% happy with the mount that was supplied with the kit. And the factory bolts that had to be removed to install the mounts, ended up being to short to re use. Other than that it is definitely a DIY job. Now need the grapple. 😜

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #544  
LOL! Yes, the front left tire is the only one on the ground. It was a huge tree and it was straddling a fence that I didn't want destroyed. I was trying to hold the tree in the air before I cut the limbs that were taking the weight of the tree. I was hoping the skid would keep the tree from dropping. Well, the tree was too heavy! LOL!

Well it sounds like you were out of the cab and only had a good laugh vs. being in the cab and needing new drawers:eek:

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #546  
I repaired the cylinder mount that got torn off and I added some teeth. The cylinder mount wasn't installed properly the first time and was only half welded.

View attachment 449498

image-484208557.jpg

image-909741581.jpg

I decided to mig weld the teeth. I rolled the welder up and dang it out of gas. I had another cylinder in the shop so this was only a minor setback.

image-3207762321.jpg

Teeth welded on.

image-4013788814.jpg

image-4013788814.jpg

image-3080669259.jpg

So far I am impressed with the teeth.

image-3076590623.jpg

image-1730420397.jpg

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #547  
Very first use of my new EA Wicked grapple.

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #549  
Fun, eh? Ten minutes of grapple work sure beats and afternoon of sawing and messing with brush etc.
That is not even a good testament for a grapple. That could have been almost as easily accomplished with a bucket and chain or pallet forks. 5 whole pine trees of this crap is another story.

image-162079538.jpg

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #550  
That is not even a good testament for a grapple. That could have been almost as easily accomplished with a bucket and chain or pallet forks. 5 whole pine trees of this crap is another story.

View attachment 449512

Grapple a tree: ten seconds. Ungrapple a tree: two seconds.

Use a chain and bucket: 1) dismount, 2) fight through the brush, 3) unwrap your chain from the storage bin or brush guard, 4) figure out how to get the chain under the bucket without crawling through poison ivy, 5) struggle to get the chain tight when the tree is only half in the bucket, 6) lift tree, move then dismount and re secure the tree for travel, 7) at destination dismount, unchain tree, try to keep tree from crushing you while you retrieve chain as tree is precariously balanced on top of bucket, 8) leave tree on ground, don't even dream of lifting it onto a pile unless you have a death wish, 9) return chain to storage, 10) remount tractor, 11) make note to self: get a freaking grapple.