Grass-n-Gravel

/ Grass-n-Gravel #1  

BTI

Platinum Member
Tractor
CK20S Hydro TLB-LK3054-CK30H
Since most rural folk have gravel drives, I thought I'd ask. What do you use to keep grass from coming up through it(cheap). Even in some fairly deep places it's coming up.
Thanks, BTI

/ Grass-n-Gravel #2  
There are fabrics that I have used that will eliminate the weeds and last forever as well. They are not cheap and if your gravel is already in place, they are a lot of work. The only other thing that I found that works is Roundup. A small squit will kill it off. If you catch them early it only takes a small squirt. The good part is that over time they will stop coming entirely, except you will still get some at the edges. Good luck!

/ Grass-n-Gravel #3  
I use Roundup too. The edges are a real pain though and I haven't found a good way to keep the gravel from "escaping" into the grass. My neighbor edged his driveway with railroad ties but A) I don't like the look and B) I don't like the cost for my 350 foot drive.

/ Grass-n-Gravel #4  
BTI,

I laugh with my neighbor about gravel and grass. I can't grow grass at my house
but my stinking gravel road sure will! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

You want grass? Put in gravel! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

For the most part I leave the grass alone and just mow it. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
The roadway that is more heavily traveled does not have as much
grass growing. I have thought of applying roundup a few feet from
the current "road" so it would be easier to see the gravel but I have
never done it....

BTW, the fabric does not work for me. I put some down when I expanded
my driveway at the house. Grass is growing in it pretty good. I put in a
patio using the same small stone and then put down pavers. I have to
weed either by hand our with round up to kill the grass. I did just spray
the grass growing in the gravel with roundup. Like I said, you want grass
put down gravel. The heck with fertilizer! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Later...
Dan McCarty

/ Grass-n-Gravel
Hey wait a minute I was just reading some older posts saying that calcium(tire loading stuff) will kill grass if it leaks out. Well the Ag-Tire guy says he's got a bunch of it for cheap(not too many people use it anymore). Whadaya think?? Any downsides??
BTI

/ Grass-n-Gravel #6  
Spray it with round-up. Works good, and gives a good edge to the drive. Any gravel in the grass from plowing just gets rolled in, and the grass grows there just fine.

/ Grass-n-Gravel #7  
You could try Scotts grass & weed killer...I had good luck..but don't apply on a rain day.

/ Grass-n-Gravel #8  
BTI,

"Spilling" diesel fuel seems to be a very permanent grass killer.

/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I had a boss years ago that would dump diesel around gates to
kill the grass. Not recommended though.

Later...
Dan

/ Grass-n-Gravel #9  
I find the best way to deal with grass in our gravel driveway is to simply not worry about it. I run the mower up and down the driveway every couple of weeks and call it good.

/ Grass-n-Gravel #10  
I saw an implement at our Kubota dealer that used two blades to dress up gravel drives and parking lots. They use it on their sales lot and it works very well. Don't know the mfgr.