Grasshopper 900D vs 725D

/ Grasshopper 900D vs 725D #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
So both of these offer a diesel motor at 25hp. The difference is the 900 comes with. 1.3 L motor with 80 torque vs a .89 L with 55 torque. Also it appears the larger motor runs a 2600 rpms while the smaller version runs at higher 3600. So my question is would the 1.3L really perform that much better with just having more torque? I know it should last longer running at a more normal Diesel engine speed but I’m not confident it will offer a great deal more power. Thoughts on this? Also does anyone have experience with the larger mowers capability on steep inclines and side hills? I have the 725D and with a 72” deck it struggles going up hills due to lack of traction. Thank you.

/ Grasshopper 900D vs 725D #2  
I’m pretty sure my grasshopper has the 1.3 liter. With the 72” deck it doesn’t have jaw dropping power. I’d hate to have the smaller one.

/ Grasshopper 900D vs 725D
I’m pretty sure my grasshopper has the 1.3 liter. With the 72” deck it doesn’t have jaw dropping power. I’d hate to have the smaller one.

What year and model is yours?

/ Grasshopper 900D vs 725D #4  
Mine is a 428d. I don’t know the year but the stamp on the motor says it passes 2007 emissions. The power is fine and the drive belts are probably the weak link. I just wouldn’t want any less power.

/ Grasshopper 900D vs 725D #5  
So both of these offer a diesel motor at 25hp. The difference is the 900 comes with. 1.3 L motor with 80 torque vs a .89 L with 55 torque. Also it appears the larger motor runs a 2600 rpms while the smaller version runs at higher 3600. So my question is would the 1.3L really perform that much better with just having more torque? I know it should last longer running at a more normal Diesel engine speed but I’m not confident it will offer a great deal more power. Thoughts on this? Also does anyone have experience with the larger mowers capability on steep inclines and side hills? I have the 725D and with a 72” deck it struggles going up hills due to lack of traction. Thank you.

Bar tires? I have some hill areas that I lose traction even with bar tires on my 725D, but no other mower could come close to it when climbing hills. With the added size/weight of the 900, I wonder if that would help or hurt the traction issues. The better torque numbers and lower RPM are definite benefits.

Mine is a 428d. I don’t know the year but the stamp on the motor says it passes 2007 emissions. The power is fine and the drive belts are probably the weak link. I just wouldn’t want any less power.

Hello 4570man, I see you also have a F series Kabota mower. How does that compare to the grasshopper front mount or mid mount? I have a lot of steep terrain and I’m mowing about 8 to 10 acres. Some is flat some is hilly and quite a few obstacles like trees and ponds etc. so just curious of your experiences

/ Grasshopper 900D vs 725D #7  
I prefer front mount but I hit a well casing and bent the deck on that mower and haven’t had time to fix it.

I prefer front mount but I hit a well casing and bent the deck on that mower and haven’t had time to fix it.

I agree as I do too. Was curious though if the MWFD on the Kubota helps a lot on hills plus the machine setup (steering wheel vs handles) looks different than the grasshopper front mount. I have both a zero turn mid mount and 72” front mount Grasshoppers and have considered trying the Kubota F series. Thanks

Bar tires? I have some hill areas that I lose traction even with bar tires on my 725D, but no other mower could come close to it when climbing hills. With the added size/weight of the 900, I wonder if that would help or hurt the traction issues. The better torque numbers and lower RPM are definite benefits.

Both my 2017 mid-Mount 325D and 725D have bar tread tires. The mid mount will go up Any Hill until you can actually flip it if you’re not careful. It has a 60 inch cut. Now my 325D has a 72 inch deck and it goes in reverse very well up hills. However if I try to go forward his struggles. It has a tendency to lose traction and dig holes. I feel certain because so much wait in the front it just can’t push it very well. I actually have to start very slowly or it will just spin the tires.

/ Grasshopper 900D vs 725D #10  
I would have never paid market price for my grasshopper but for $500 I couldn’t pass it up. It really needs bar tires. The turfs on it are pretty bad.