Grasshopper 900d vs 725dt

/ Grasshopper 900d vs 725dt #1  

jmt1271

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
Are there any grasshopper users on here who are knowledgeable on their product line?

Finding it very difficult to get straight answers on power numbers.

Due to epa crap, I think all the diesels are capped at 25hp. I'm trying to find out of this reduces torque numbers as well. At least at the operating rpm the mowers have to run.

I'm trying to decide between the 2 mowers mentioned.

I want the most usable torque I can get. Does anyone know the exact torque and hp ratings of these machines. Specifically at the operating rpm they're set in order to maintain the blade tip speed grasshopper wants. Thanks

/ Grasshopper 900d vs 725dt #2  
725 has very good power, 900 has more hp and is rated higher, but do you need more? I guess that's what you really need to decide.

The 900 is a bigger heavier tractor too, so there's that.

I love my 725...

SR

/ Grasshopper 900d vs 725dt
What's the hp on the 1.3l?

/ Grasshopper 900d vs 725dt #4  
It's rated 30, I'm surprised you haven't asked your GH dealer that...

My 725 is rated 25 and it's very strong for 25, I've heard the 930's have a noticeable amount more power, although I've not run one.

I almost bought a 930, but my 725 has plenty of power so I'm glad I didn't.

SR

/ Grasshopper 900d vs 725dt #5  
It's rated 30, I'm surprised you haven't asked your GH dealer that...

My 725 is rated 25 and it's very strong for 25, I've heard the 930's have a noticeable amount more power, although I've not run one.

I almost bought a 930, but my 725 has plenty of power so I'm glad I didn't.

SR

The 900D is actually only 25hp just like the 725. The difference is the 900D’s 1.3L is obviously a larger block with larger bore diameter thus producing a lot more torque. I have both and have about 300 hours on each of them. I by far like the 900D best for my use. What would you like to know specifically?

I can tell you the 725D running a 72” deck will not handle high grass well. If your just topping your yard weekly on flatter ground you might be ok. But if you have steep hills and or higher grass then the 900D is your beast. The 900D is way more machine than you might first think. It’s also a good bit heavier which makes it much better on steep hills. Another thing I like is that in order to keep the 1.3L restricted to 25hp its programed to run at like 2600rpms vs close to 3600 for the smaller motor. I like the sound and feel of the 1.3L better. Let me know if you have other questions.

/ Grasshopper 900d vs 725dt #6  
The 900D is actually only 25hp just like the 725. The difference is the 900D’s 1.3L is obviously a larger block with larger bore diameter thus producing a lot more torque. I have both and have about 300 hours on each of them. I by far like the 900D best for my use. What would you like to know specifically?
When I bought my 725, they had the 930's rated at 30hp, I didn't know they rate them lower now. My dealer had just sold two 930's and I was thinking of one too.

I have a 61" deck on my 725 and it has more than enough power for that size deck, even in tall grass.

SR

/ Grasshopper 900d vs 725dt #7  
They did it because of government regulations. 25hp is the max power output before going to next tier emissions requirements. It’s actually pretty smart what they did. They used a larger displacement motor setup at lower rpm’s to maintain 25hp while producing a lot of torque. That’s why just 25hp will run the piss out of a 72” deck. I mow very tall grass with no issues at all.

/ Grasshopper 900d vs 725dt #8  
Over the years, many tractor companies have under rated their engines for various reasons.

I like the idea of how they did it too.

Actually, the 725 "feels" like it has more than 25hp too...

SR

/ Grasshopper 900d vs 725dt #9  
They did it because of government regulations. 25hp is the max power output before going to next tier emissions requirements. It’s actually pretty smart what they did. They used a larger displacement motor setup at lower rpm’s to maintain 25hp while producing a lot of torque. That’s why just 25hp will run the piss out of a 72” deck. I mow very tall grass with no issues at all.
I think you might be on to something.

/ Grasshopper 900d vs 725dt #10  
I had a 725d for one summer and my MIL has one now. we sometimes mow with it. Both have/had the 61" deck. They do not handle tall grass well in my experience. Not as well as the Kawasaki's that I've had on my last two ZTRs.

I personally think the GHers are over priced for their mowing abilities over a good quality gas ZTR that you can buy about 2/3 the price of a GH diesel.

Just my experience. They do however, sell a little bully blade for the Grasshopper 725d that actually makes a very nice snow weapon. I had one for one winter before I sold my GH. Probably the best snow removal equipment I have owned without a cab. They are heavy, maneuverable and fast at snow removal.