Gravely C model

/ Gravely C model #1  

Sonny580

Platinum Member
Tractor
several kinds and sizes
anybody know if the mag from an L will fit the C?? got 2 L's here and mags were good last year so was wondering if they would fit the C. all 3 are wico, but may have different spec # on them.---I hate mags with a passion but I need to mow weeds and this is my only hope for a quick fix other than converting mag to battery coil, which I have done many times but would rather keep it somewhat like it is now cept running! Looks like a decent old mower. Just bought it from an estate auction and nobody knew anything about it al all. Been sitting in the shed for eons but gas was drained when they parked it.
a few pix of it. This one also has a governor on it which my L and LI dont.

Attachments

• DSCN0844.JPG
    DSCN0844.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 170
  • DSCN0845.JPG
    DSCN0845.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 140
  • DSCN0841.JPG
    DSCN0841.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 175
   / Gravely C model #2  
The L and C I think used the same configuration with the mag. So it should work. The governor is nice, but I don't find not having one to be a problem. Mine was worn out, so I removed it. The t-head engine is easy to rev low, those flywheels keep the torque available. You did get the manuals from the web I hope.

Also, make sure there is not any tension on the governor pulley, that is what wears them out. Should lightly ride on the belt. Tighten the belt with the fan assy. I assume you have a C8, does it have the third lever low on the right handlebar? If so, it is a swiftomatic.

Edit: looked at the first pic better. Yup, C8. Might be an L8. Angled or straight plug? Straight is a C, angled is an L

/ Gravely C model
Third lever and straight plug! lol! Ya,--- I downloaded all the manuals that I could find last year when I was trying to get the L and LI running. --- never did get them to go but have not had time this year to work on them. Found another 1 or 3 for the C models so copied them as well. Really wanted to get this one running so I can use it to mow weeds with. --- My old Batchtold gearbox went out and it is going to be a bear to get apart and fix so the next best hope is the C!
In this pic if you look close, you can see the third lever and the governor along with the starter, which I got loosened up and it works good now.
On the l's,-- I think I figured out a way to pull them with a belt and electric motor to start them the first time. --- might take 2 people to operate everything, but gotta try it.!
serial # on the C is J 115667
Looks like 7.6 hp from the charts. ---- should take down weeds as good or better than the old Batchtold does! AND maybe I get to ride! LOL!! ---Not that I am lazy but old back problems make it hard to walk much behind weed mowers now days!

Attachments

• DSCN0843.JPG
    DSCN0843.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 126
   / Gravely C model #4  
Third lever and straight plug! lol! Ya,--- I downloaded all the manuals that I could find last year when I was trying to get the L and LI running. --- never did get them to go but have not had time this year to work on them. Found another 1 or 3 for the C models so copied them as well. Really wanted to get this one running so I can use it to mow weeds with. --- My old Batchtold gearbox went out and it is going to be a bear to get apart and fix so the next best hope is the C!
In this pic if you look close, you can see the third lever and the governor along with the starter, which I got loosened up and it works good now.
On the l's,-- I think I figured out a way to pull them with a belt and electric motor to start them the first time. --- might take 2 people to operate everything, but gotta try it.!
serial # on the C is J 115667
Looks like 7.6 hp from the charts. ---- should take down weeds as good or better than the old Batchtold does! AND maybe I get to ride! LOL!! ---Not that I am lazy but old back problems make it hard to walk much behind weed mowers now days!
That looks like a well cared for machine. The bachtold is supposed to be a good machine, but I think you are going to like the C8. The dual wheels make it impossible to tip over on side hills. I saw you have a MA106 brush cutter to. They will cut up anything it can push over, 1-1/2" stuff is about max. And not too many at a time. Make sure no one is around when you use it, as it can throw debris pretty far, and to the right. Pull the plug off the top of the deck gearbox, it is probably full of grease, you can use cornhead grease which is thicker than 140 wt gear oil. Lower seal is probably shot, which is why we all use grease.

The L and LI are good machines too, just faster than I like. Though the C8 is like a L, LI, and LS. 4 forward and 4 reverse. Make sure you don't use the little lever when you are moving. Complete stop to change range. Might have to feather forward and reverse to get it to engage.

I have a C8 and am probably going to sell my 5240 as I don't use it, ever. I like the C8 better.

Good luck with the machine.

Larry

/ Gravely C model #5  
Yes just make sure the donor is at tdc and the recipient as well so the time if is correct there are marks on tue max and the machine to verify it

/ Gravely C model
Now my donor mag is also dead! --next step is to convert mag coil to external tractor coil an go with that until I can figure out were to get a coil at a reasonable price.
Not going to spend a ton of money on this thing right now not knowing if its a good unit or not.---gotta get it to run so I can use it at least on a test run to make sure everything works!