Gravely or Cub Cadet

/ Gravely or Cub Cadet #1  

widefat

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200 Husq GT52XLS Husqvarna LC121P Husq 455 Rancher Stihl FS90 Stihl MS170 99 Ram 1500
Gravely ZT-HD or Cub ZT-3?

/ Gravely or Cub Cadet #2  
Just bought a Hustler Fastrak. I have owned a Gravely before, been a long time ago. My research into ZTR mowers was confusing. There seems to be 100's of machines out there. All I can say is, I have not heard good things about a Cub. BUT, ... ? My small engine mechanic said Scag or Hustler with Kawasaki was the way to go. I know he likes Gravely also, but there is not a local dealer.

/ Gravely or Cub Cadet #3  
Why limit yourself to one machine?

Buy the CC first. When the CC dies you will then buy a Gravely or something else.

/ Gravely or Cub Cadet #4  
All I know is that I love my Gravely. On my second one and no complaints. I upgraded to commercial for the seat and better ride. Love it!!!

/ Gravely or Cub Cadet #5  
Cub was made/owned by MTD a mass market manufacturer of many, many brands of mowers. Now it's owned by Stanley/Black and Decker - read mass market, home owner grade.
Gravely is owned by Ariens, which makes commercial and hi-end consumer lawn products. Gravely makes commercial and hi-end consumer lawn products. Both of them have served their defined market for decades.
I'd go with Gravely, if for no other reason than their ownership and defined market. But there are other reasons as well - quality, dealers and dealer support
Spike may have been referring to the transmission problems Cub had several years ago. I don't know if they've fixed that problem OR if they made their end user whole. Somehow, I doubt the later.

/ Gravely or Cub Cadet #6  
Looked at a lot of zt mowers a couple of years ago. For the money you can't go wrong with the Gravely. I ended up with a proturn 52. Almost went with a bad boy but the dealer had a big charge to finance it.

/ Gravely or Cub Cadet #7  
Go to where they sell CC and put your foot on the mower deck. Notice the excessive bounce to the deck. Now you know how uneven the cut will be and look across your lawn. (n) Now go over to the orange BB mower and notice the heavier duty deck that doesn't bounce around. For me this applies to any mower configuration or brand, Enough said on that.

/ Gravely or Cub Cadet #8  
Ferris, with suspension. Worth a look.

/ Gravely or Cub Cadet #9  
I “upgraded” from a JD x300 that was nothing but trouble to the cheapest Cub Cadet rider and it has kept going through 8 years of abuse. Just bought a new CC zero turn because I’m mowing several acres now.