Gravely's

/ Gravely's #1  

Sonny580

Platinum Member
Tractor
several kinds and sizes
just got these 2 and dont know a thing bout Gravely's! lolo! --- always wanted one---guess they only come in pairs! I cant find serial number on one and the other says LI and serial# is 2793 on it. Neither one run, motors are not stuck so maybe I can get them running. one needs a gas tank and the other one needs cleaned---nasty old gas in it. From what I was told the ran when parked! LOL!! --- actually they were just sitting in a shed for many years so a lot of cleaning will be needed to start with after I learn a bit about Gravely's!

20200902_135621.jpg

20200902_135652.jpg

I have more pix of them showing the sides of the motors.

/ Gravely's #2  
Reminds me of buying an old radio when I was a kid "It was running good last time I heard it".

Good, solid old machines - hope they work out for you. :drink:

/ Gravely's #3  
Good luck. Bought a 5665 (12 hp) in 2001. Couldn't use it until I got some steering brakes. Luckily, the ex Gravely dealer in town had some.

Maybe on the smaller ones, you'll be able to steer them without the steering brakes.

Ralph

/ Gravely's
I am sure they are a bear to run!---- they are heavier than then they look! gotta be over 250 pounds with the mower on them. --- and I thought a Troy-Built Horse was bad! lol!

/ Gravely's #5  
How big of an electric drill do you have,, or can borrow? (not an impact tool, a true drill)

Get a socket that fits the big nut on the crank pulley, and a socket/drill chuck adapter,,

Take the plug out, spin the engine a while with the drill/socket,,soon the magneto will start putting out spark.
(cranking is easier than taking the magneto apart and cleaning it)

When you got a good spark, put the plug back in, start spinning, and dribble a little gas in the carb,,
if it tries to start, then it is time to dig into the carb,, and it will run just fine,,, :thumbsup:

/ Gravely's #6  
I am sure they are a bear to run!---- they are heavier than then they look! gotta be over 250 pounds with the mower on them. --- lol!

The weight gotta be more like 600-700 pounds,,
I got a 2 blade , 40 inch mower that weighs 250 pounds by itself,,

/ Gravely's
I have a couple big old heavy slow 1/2" drills.

/ Gravely's #8  
One thing I ran into on the 5665 is that you could not set the points at 0.020. Otherwise, they never close. Have to set at about 0.016.

Ralph

/ Gravely's
One dont have spark, mag clicks but nuttin on the tester, the other one dont even click. --- I despise mags on motors! I always end up having to convert them to battery coils. Next up will be to try to file the points in the mower one and try to get spark---- IF that dont do it ---- well battery coil time!

/ Gravely's #10  
My brother rebuilds/repairs/recharges mags for these old Gravelys. PM me if you want his contact info.