Grease for excavator

/ Grease for excavator
Seven Gables, why do you use a different grease for the swing bearing rollers?

/ Grease for excavator #12  
Seven Gables, why do you use a different grease for the swing bearing rollers?
I make it a practice to not to use moly grease in any roller bearings. Moly grease should not be used in high speed roller bearings so quite honestly in the relatively slow turning swing bearing I'm 99% sure it would be fine. The grease gun I use for the non moly blue grease has a 36" hose and lock and lube end. I lock the end on the SB zert which is located right below the front window, the longer hose allows me to set in the seat and grease the swing bearing as I rotate the house. Saves stoping the machine every 90 degrees and climbing in and out to grease.

/ Grease for excavator
Excellent idea. Someone once said " If you have to get off your tractor, you're doing it wrong". I will build a similar greaser.

/ Grease for excavator #14  
The more I research the more confusing this gets. The Kuboat U27-4 recommends Shell Alvania EP2 (now called Shell Gadus S2 V220 2) or Mobilux EP2. Neither of these have Molybdenum in their specs. It seems odd that Kubota does not list their own branded grease. I have read where moly is not good for ball bearings, yet the excavator has a swing ball bearing. Just wanting one dedicated grease for the entire machine. Also I read where the Aluminum Complex grease ( Schaeffer & some others) might be better for pins.
Timken Loads, Dropping Points, it goes on and on...........

bearings generally refer to high speed bearings. Our low speed swing bearing isn’t the same as wheel bearings.

/ Grease for excavator #15  
Yes, any grease is better than no grease, but some greases are better than any grease. It’s something that takes 100’s of hours to figure out. I would recommend using a grease that has an easily to get compatible grease. One reason I stay away from polyurea. Lithium complex is probably the best all around grease. Aluminum complex is compatible and is arguably much better in the long run.

/ Grease for excavator #16  
If it takes hundreds of hours to figure out it's probably because it takes that long to convince yourself. If it were clear cut and obvious it would be just that.

/ Grease for excavator
Schaeffer's is only mail order for me in CT. I can buy Valvoline Palladium with 3% moly at a local NAPA store. Also available with 5% moly.

/ Grease for excavator #18  
Schaeffer's is only mail order for me in CT. I can buy Valvoline Palladium with 3% moly at a local NAPA store. Also available with 5% moly.
Depending where you are in CT... If you want Schaeffer products you can pm me & we can discuss... We place an order with the local CT rep multiple times a year under our commercial account.

/ Grease for excavator #19  
If it takes hundreds of hours to figure out it's probably because it takes that long to convince yourself. If it were clear cut and obvious it would be just that.
It did take me hundreds of hours to figure it out. Digging equipment is a good easy gauge of wear over a length of time, its slop you can see and feel. Had a 2001 case I didnt grease as much as I should have. Lots of slop. Had a 2008 m59 that I used a free Mobil 1 grease not meant for equipment (neighbor basically had an endless supply) and had terrible slop.Then decided to pay more attention to grease type and decided on one, used it exclusively on a m62 from new and after 500 hr there was no measurable slop. Its taken me like 20 years to convince myself, before that I was naive and of the mind any grease is good grease as long as its used.

I decided to use Schaefer 238 and glad I did, but it is not the best and its almost impossible to go wrong with a modern grease as long as its the right type of grease.

/ Grease for excavator #20  
It is not local for me either but there are good sources online to buy cases from. eBay is one. and actually it is local for me now, one of the Napa’s i frequent had a Schaffer oil/grease display when you walk in. I didnt price it but its good to have options.

this thread reminds me of an oil and grease guy at another place I frequent online. His posts are one reason I took grease a little more seriously. Foxtrot.