Backhoe Grease Zerk KB2376

/ Grease Zerk KB2376
Hi Bob, thank you for taking the time to help. I don't have much knowledge of other Kioti backhoe models. Is there a reason that you feel your tractor's B.H. zirks would be the same for my backhoe? They are different tractors.... or is it that yours also has a KB2376 model backhoe?

Ron

/ Grease Zerk KB2376 #13  
Ron, I started a thread here not long ago about this subject. What I found out is as follows. I have an Kioti NX4510 HST with back hoe and front end loader and needed a Zirk fitting. The thread is 1/8-27 taper NPT. However, the nut part is metric. A bit smaller than the standard nut part found on most Zirk fittings. What happens is the socket does not fit the recessed hole that the Zirk fits into. Buy a standard socket and turn it down to fit the hole the Zirk goes into and your in business. Good luck and I hope this helps. Bob

Not. BSPT, as stated earlier in the thread. There is NO metric component to the zerk fittings. They're British, NOT SAE, not metric.

/ Grease Zerk KB2376 #14  
Ron, I'm not sure if they are different but our tractors are made by the same manufacturer so they probably are the same. What I did to confirm my findings was, I removed another Zirk grease fitting from the direct opposite side of the tractor and using a thread gauge, measured the thread count, using an micrometers jaws I observed the threads to be tapered. Then the fun started, I went to the local auto parts store and picked up a kit with many different Zirk fittings with different sizes and threads. Having done some research, went to the Allemite web sight and gleaned much info on Zirk fittings. As my problem was the threads were not tapped deep enough to install a new Zirk fitting, I purchased the correct tap and re-tapped the hole. Turned down a socket to pass into the recessed hole that the new Zirk fitting goes into and then installed it. Sorry for the long info here but I feel it is necessary to fully understand why I did what I did. Before I did all this I had been to my Kioti dealer to find out what tap size was necessary to re-tap the hole but they had no idea so that was my reason for doing what I had done. Hope this helps others here, Bob

/ Grease Zerk KB2376 #15  
Ron, I'm not sure if they are different but our tractors are made by the same manufacturer so they probably are the same. What I did to confirm my findings was, I removed another Zirk grease fitting from the direct opposite side of the tractor and using a thread gauge, measured the thread count, using an micrometers jaws I observed the threads to be tapered. Then the fun started, I went to the local auto parts store and picked up a kit with many different Zirk fittings with different sizes and threads. Having done some research, went to the Allemite web sight and gleaned much info on Zirk fittings. As my problem was the threads were not tapped deep enough to install a new Zirk fitting, I purchased the correct tap and re-tapped the hole. Turned down a socket to pass into the recessed hole that the new Zirk fitting goes into and then installed it. Sorry for the long info here but I feel it is necessary to fully understand why I did what I did. Before I did all this I had been to my Kioti dealer to find out what tap size was necessary to re-tap the hole but they had no idea so that was my reason for doing what I had done. Hope this helps others here, Bob

You must not be reading the other poster's posts which clearly explain that the zerks used on Kiotis are BPST, and not metric or SAE. As in British thread, tapered, etc.
Retapping to some other thread and pitch is NOT helpful here, it just confuses the issue. The correct zerks are available through numerous suppliers, though they are not a part that shows up at TSC, hardware or auto stores. Kioti dealers sell/carry them too.
They're zerks, not 'zirks' too....:rolleyes:

/ Grease Zerk KB2376
Isn't most of the rest of the world on the metric system? I do remember having to get Wentworth wrenches for my `60 Land Rover 88 series II. So you could be correct about the UK threads.

But my 10 mm wrench begs to differ on the no metric component. It fits that zerk like a glove. There is not any wiggle in that fit.

On one of the websites linked in this thread I got to a place that sold grease gun tips, nozzles, doo hicky not sure of the nomenclature but I was considering getting on of the metric tips because my Legacy Lock and Load grease gun from tractor supply has tips that do NOT fit my tractor. I've returned two of these grease guns for issues with the locking system. They are very prompt in replacing stuff but the tips they sent did not fit the zerks on my machine. Won't it be fun to get past this stuff!

/ Grease Zerk KB2376 #17  
Isn't most of the rest of the world on the metric system? I do remember having to get Wentworth wrenches for my `60 Land Rover 88 series II. So you could be correct about the UK threads.

But my 10 mm wrench begs to differ on the no metric component. It fits that zerk like a glove. There is not any wiggle in that fit.

On one of the websites linked in this thread I got to a place that sold grease gun tips, nozzles, doo hicky not sure of the nomenclature but I was considering getting on of the metric tips because my Legacy Lock and Load grease gun from tractor supply has tips that do NOT fit my tractor. I've returned two of these grease guns for issues with the locking system. They are very prompt in replacing stuff but the tips they sent did not fit the zerks on my machine. Won't it be fun to get past this stuff!

You need to unscrew the tip a bit. Its a b tch the first time.

/ Grease Zerk KB2376 #18  
Well Coyote, thanks for straightening me out on my spelling and the BPST info! However, my methods and results worked just fine and other than the larger nut size on the replacement Zerks, I doubt you or anyone else could tell the difference. While we are on the subject, I have found that when the manufacturer drilled the holes into the pivot pins that the Zerks go into, these holes are for the most part not drilled on center nor straight in alighnment. But then you probable new that. Not getting pissy here, just stating what I have found. Bob

/ Grease Zerk KB2376 #19  
Personally as long as you keep filings in check tapping is a good idea if you have fittings in hand that you can install rather than chasing fittings that are harder to find

I've drilled and tapped my own fittings in the past and all is well

Ideally replacing with original is optimal but making do with what you have works

Joel

/ Grease Zerk KB2376
Hi Murph thanks for the ahhhhh tip no pun. I tried that I still wind up having to pump the high dollar grease gun with my arm while pushing the tip against the zerk. Gonna PM you.