Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Greasing (or not) snow chute rotating base?

/ Greasing (or not) snow chute rotating base? #11  
Maybe a dry graphite spray ?

/ Greasing (or not) snow chute rotating base? #12  
I've always had good luck with the white lithium grease. It has been used in automotive applications for a long, long time. The big trick with snow blowers, is to keep them inside as much as possible. The paint quickly gets worn off and the bare metal surfaces get semi-polished just like a mold board on a plow or a disc. If you allow the metal to set out it will eventually rust and pit, then you can have problems. I wash my blower each spring and repaint any bare metal I can get to before storing it for the summer inside my barn. Probably disassemble and grease grease the chute rotating area every two years or three with the lithium. That is a good time to hit the chain, PTO shaft, and chute areas with a little lube. Then, next fall, she is good to go for the next winter. No pitted surfaces to slow the movement of snow or cause other problems.

/ Greasing (or not) snow chute rotating base? #13  
I have on older Husqvarna 10/30 snowblower with 鍍hreaded screw adjustable base to rotate the direction of the snow chute. I知 pretty sure when I bought the machine, (used), 6 or 7 years ago that it had grease in and around the moving or contacting surfaces where it rotated. I noticed a few times over the years that I couldn稚 rotate the chute and it seemed the threaded screw adjuster was frozen. Or the surfaces themselves of the chute or the base it rotated on were frozen together. If I put a heat gun to these areas, after a few minutes, it freeed up.

So I took all these elements apart, cleaned them, and then applied Lithium grease. But sure enough, it痴 frozen and bound up again.

Any ideas what I知 doing wrong? I致e used a couple different types of grease (white lithium, regular or gray lithium, spray Teflon...) and nothing works.

Thank you.

Jay

On the various walk behind blowers I have used through the years, I never greased or oiled the chute pivot point at all and had no problems. If you are storing the blower in a heated area, the grease may be working against you by holding in the moisture which freezes once you start blowing snow. If you are storing the blower in an unheated area the grease may still be holding in moisture. I would suggest cleaning out all the grease and see what happens. Also, if you have a manual, see what it suggests for this issue.

/ Greasing (or not) snow chute rotating base? #14  
When my tractor was delivered, the service person who did the delivery recommended thick heavy grease for the chute rotation gear. Before first use, I filled the area with some marine-rated bearing grease that I had left over from packing the wheel bearings in my trailer. My tractor/blower is stored unheated, and so far so good; the thick grease does a good job preventing any significant amount of water from getting in there. At the end of each season I remove any dirt or other crap that got in there and fill it with grease for storage into next season.

/ Greasing (or not) snow chute rotating base? #15  
I use the same "Cleaner Lubricant Preservative", aka, CLP, as I do on my AR 15 weapons, good to a operating range of -65 Degrees F / +475 Degrees F.

KC