Great lake boats, a good video

/ Great lake boats, a good video
Here is a film and photos taken while on the STEWART J. CORT a few summers ago for a trip between Burns harbor steel mill and BNSF pellet doc in Superior WI. At 14 minutes in I believe we can watch the helmsman operating the Cort's thrusters* as they are docking. Nice film and photos of this 1000ft boat in operation.

Riding The Stewart J. Cort – Video by Roger LeLievre (218) - YouTube

Commonly these at a 5000hp engine powering a 8ft prop which push the boat port or starboard. A stern and bow thruster setup is normal.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #94  
Hello, nice pics!
Present you my camping 0001.jpg0000000222.jpg

Seems the Huletts would take too many people to operate, to slow and to much maintenance. The self unloader's can dump there cargo with no facilities, other than a flat spot within 200ft of the boat and do so very quickly. There are still a few boats out there with no unloading system owned by Algoma, like the Discovery pictured below. Where do they go to unload??

Attachments

• AlgomaDiscovery-6-29-12-MM-1.jpg
    AlgomaDiscovery-6-29-12-MM-1.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
   / Great lake boats, a good video #96  
I think there's only one guy operating the Hulett buck and another operating the bucket car. So 2 guys per machine.

They were slow, compared to conveyors, that's for sure.

As for unloading, they use draglines, well, i guess it's not a dragline, but a crane with clamshells, as far as I know. Look towards the end of this video. I've seen some where they'll lower a small loader into the hold to scoop out the corners. Can't find that video anywhere.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #98  
Very interesting videos and pictures! I try to describe the Great lakes to people and you can tell it's not really getting thru, until i tell them the first time i was at the beach, on the pacific i didn't really understand it was an ocean, till some water splashed into my mouth. I remember thinking, Oh yeah, this is an ocean, not fresh water!

/ Great lake boats, a good video #99  
20 foot waves crashing over the lighthouses. People surfing. Sand dunes 100' high. Cannot see the opposite shore because it's too far away. We always try to take people up to Lake Michigan if they've never seen it before. Haven't met anyone that wasn't amazed yet. I think the east coast of Lake Michigan has some of the best sunsets in the world.