Great lake boats, a good video

/ Great lake boats, a good video
Oh gee, here is a nice video I just found that shows all the 1000ft boats found on the lakes. What I really liked was he also gave there HP, number of engines and its manufacture. Plus the boats capacity, top speed and year built (at least he did for some). Do note that the Gotts and another boats HP was at about 20,000!!

1 Foot Ships of the Great Lakes - All 13 Vessels! - YouTube

Winter is upon us here but the lakes are still full of boats. MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic

I just seen this nice video of the Canadian Steam ship Line (CSL) Niagara being pushed through the ice to the CN pellet dock in Duluth MN. It includes the radio chatter between the tug and Niagara. You sure can see his bow thruster in action! The reason the tug was called in to help is to reduce the ice at the dock plus his thurster is hampered by ice. The intake can become clogged and much reduces its power. I believe this class of boat have a stern thruster as well. This was taken this month.

CSL Niagara CN Arrival with radio chatter - YouTube

/ Great lake boats, a good video #64  
The 1000' MV American Integrity just cycled thru the locks northbound after fighting the ice in the Saint Mary's...... She had a huge LED looking flood/spot lights high up on each side of her bridge as she set in the locks. Some of the brightest boat lights I have ever seen. All I could think of is how many HP I'd have to devote if I put something like that on the cab of my tractor. Probably way more than my cab structure could hold anyway..........

was Great lake boats, now dog rescue!

Below was found on. Great Lakes and Seaway Shipping - BoatNerd.Com

Our great lakes shipping season is winding down!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dog rescued from U.P. island by Coast Guard cutter Mackinaw痴 crew

1/6 - Chippewa County, Mich. After more than a week in the cold, a dog was reunited with his owners Friday evening. Logan, a white husky mix, went missing from St. Joseph Island in Ontario on Christmas day while he and his owners were visiting family.

Thursday Logan's owners, Lydia Selin and Kailaan Walker, got a call from the crew aboard the US Coast Guard Cutter Mackinaw. While patrolling the Michigan waterways, the crew saw a dog fall through the ice and struggle onto the shore of Lime Island.

A 20-person landing party went out to the island to search for the dog but couldn't get him to come to their calls. The crew set a fire on the shore of the island and left a bowl of macaroni before leaving the island.

Thursday, the crew passed the island again and found the dog along with an empty bowl of pasta.

The Mackinaw docked in Cheboygan Friday evening where Logan was reunited with Lydia and Kailaan. The crew told the family a vet was aboard the ship and was able to help Logan with his wounds.

9&10 News

Last edited:
Here is the launch of the USCG Mackinaw back in 2005. I love the music! We need another ice breaker like this. The Canadians breakers are of great help, but they are becoming aged as well.

USCG Mackinaw launch - YouTube

/ Great lake boats, a good video #68  
Here is the launch of the USCG Mackinaw back in 2005. I love the music! We need another ice breaker like this. The Canadians breakers are of great help, but they are becoming aged as well.

USCG Mackinaw launch - YouTube
Very cool.

Amazing that these ships don't capsize when slid sideways into the water like that!

/ Great lake boats, a good video #69  
Very cool.

Amazing that these ships don't capsize when slid sideways into the water like that!

There's a bunch of u-tube videos that show lots of fails launching like this. Kinda interesting to watch.