Green Slime ? in 455

/ Green Slime ? in 455 #1  

beenthere

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_425, JD_455 AWS, added JD_455, JD_110, JD_X485(sold)
Front tire problem in having to boost additional 3-4 psi every couple days in one tire, caused me to purchase a couple new tires. Mounted the one leaking air and decided the two should match so removed the non-leaker today.. This is what I found inside.. and assume someone put in Green Slime. Messy!

History of this 455 was purchased used 8 years ago. Didn't have to add air at first to the one tire, but only the last 3-4 years.
I have heard about the Green Slime but never came to the point of putting it in a tire. Don't think I will in my future either, after getting into this one.
But have to say, it apparently lasted for at least 8 years.

Attachments

• Green Slime 455.jpg
    Green Slime 455.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 133
  • Green_Slime_tire.jpg
    Green_Slime_tire.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 148
   / Green Slime ? in 455 #2  
It may well be that the John Deere dealer put the Green Slime in the tires when it before they sold it. The reason I say that is... when I bought my 2012 Z710A in 2013 with 27 hours on it, and one day I thought one of the rear tires needed air, when I remove the vale stem cap some green stuff came out. So, I deflated all four tires and they all had this green stuff in them. Few days later I paid a visit to my JD dealer and ask him about this green stuff in the tires. He told me they put Green Slime in all their tires when they get the tractors to help to prevent flats.

/ Green Slime ? in 455
Only the one tire had the slime.. doubt a dealer ..

Posted just to add to the thoughts of using this stuff.. see there are a number of similar threads on the Green Slime..

/ Green Slime ? in 455 #4  
I would like to know "one good reason" why a person would use this horrible stuff to fix a tire leak? It taken two days to remove and clean the inside of the tires and the rims of this slime from my Z720A tires. Should I get a flat, I'm using the old method...a plug or insert a inner tube.

/ Green Slime ? in 455 #5  
Yes, what crap. Not only is it messy, it doesn't always work. Had a wheel barrow tire that would not hold pressure, so I tried the green slime, didn't help, and then as beenthere found out, it's a ***** to clean up. I ended up putting a tube in.

Richard

/ Green Slime ? in 455 #6  
People use it because it's easy. I can remember when the fix-a-flat cans came out. It was like crack. People were using the stuff in anything that had a valve stem. The slime makes an even worse.