greese fittings

/ greese fittings #1  

dtd24

Gold Member
Tractor
98 JD 1070
I am new to the tractor world, and I want to keep my machine lubed properly. I found all the spots from the manual. How many pumps should go in each fitting. What do you do if a fitting is stuck, and greese wont go in?

/ greese fittings #2  
First always clean off the the grease fitting so dirt doesn't get pumped in.

Fittings can be unscrewed and replaced if need be.

From what I understand one to two good pumps is sufficient in most applications.

/ greese fittings #3  
I am a terrible overgreaser. I believe that it is better to overgrease these open style bushings than to undergrease. I actually pump grease until I see it leave the bushing after about 5 pumps. Many pros only pump until they hear the crackle, you'll know the crackle when you hear it after about 3 pumps.

The closed bearings and bushings which have a rubber boot or seal need to be greased much more carefully. Too much grease there will blow the seal and that's no good.

Too much grease on the loader bushings makes a mess, I can handle that, too little and you wear the joint, not so good. I also grease at day's end so that the bare metal is not damaged by rain water. Also the used grease seems more likely to cake up than fresh grease.

/ greese fittings #4  
If it's an open bearing surface most of the time I will pump in new greese or grease whicever the case may be, until it starts to push out of the bearing. I then take a rag and wipe off any excess as it just attracts dust and dirt.

/ greese fittings #5  
If something won't take grease.. move the part a bit.. some jints block the grease track/hole depending on where they set. Usually movingthem a tad helps it take grease.. otherwise.. check the fitting.. as others said.. most are threaded ( some cheapy stuff may have drive fittings.. etc.. )

Otherwise you got great info.

Soundguy