Grip Strut steps

/ Grip Strut steps #1  

RoyKing

Platinum Member
Tractor
M7060HSC/18, RTV-X1100C
I'm planning a skid plate for my M7060 cab tractor. The two things to protect are the plastic fuel tank and the FEL valve both are easily damaged by sticks. While I'm at it I'd like some bigger steps into the cab. Right now I'm looking at Grip Strut 7.5" deep step material. One step would be added to skid plate covering the tank bottom, next up I'd use the existing hanger as the cab floats above frame.

The advice part is I want add one more step below the tank that needs to fold or latch up after your in the cab.

Right now I've got a small wood stool on rope I pull up into the cab.

All ideas welcome

Attachments

• steps.jpg
    steps.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 234
  • GripStrut.jpg
    GripStrut.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 149
   / Grip Strut steps #2  
I added a lower step to the OEM arrangement. It lasted about half an hour and I was lucky. It didn't fold back and engage the rear tire. It sure as H*LL folded up though.

Fold up or latch up - that would DEFINITELY be the way to go.

/ Grip Strut steps
As I was searching the net for ideas I came up with this, will measure to see if I can get this much width in, and call the company to see if any way to open it when your in the cab, the 12v ones are triple the price

Attachments

• stepFold1.jpg
    stepFold1.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 128
  • StepFold2.jpg
    StepFold2.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 139
  • stepFold3.jpg
    stepFold3.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 121
   / Grip Strut steps #4  
That's a great looking collapsible step system. Roy - look at the first picture when it's collapsed and then the third picture when it's extended. That visible side bolt and arced slot show that it will extend forward. Perhaps you simply grab hold of something( so that you don't "extend" also) and step on that top step.

My questions would be - is it heavy duty enough to last as long as the tractor AND how is it going to attach to your tractor. Also how do you "open/extend" it to get up into the cab - how do you collapse it once you are on the ground.

/ Grip Strut steps
   / Grip Strut steps #6  
i've seem step extensions that are bolted on with the sides being heavy rubber straps. It would be a simple way of eliminating the complex retractable requirement but you may not like the wobbly feel when you step on the bottom step. i have seen some of them with chains also instead of rubber straps.

/ Grip Strut steps #7  
72E04B18-1550-4605-89AE-04E53D0AF88A.jpeg. Something similar to that.

/ Grip Strut steps #8  
i've seem step extensions that are bolted on with the sides being heavy rubber straps. It would be a simple way of eliminating the complex retractable requirement but you may not like the wobbly feel when you step on the bottom step. i have seen some of them with chains also instead of rubber straps.

I have seen RailRoad and electric utility trucks with heavy cable between steps. Should be more sturdy than chain or rubber straps but still free to swing if bumped. But probably still a bit wiggly to climb.

/ Grip Strut steps #9  
As I was searching the net for ideas I came up with this, will measure to see if I can get this much width in, and call the company to see if any way to open it when your in the cab, the 12v ones are triple the price

Those look to the the stairs for an RV. They're quite sturdy but do wiggle some. If you want to see them in person, just go to an RV dealer and look at the camping trailers.

/ Grip Strut steps
We'll see, the first welding shop was not interested in doing the skid plate, sent some email and photo's to a second shop.

Only need the bottom step to fold up, seems a decent shop should be able to fab one.

My old ford 3000 was less vulnerable than the M7060.