Grooming mower with no shear pin or slip clutch protection?

/ Grooming mower with no shear pin or slip clutch protection?
Just a shot in the dark regarding the bent pto shaft, but did you move the mower around somehow using the loader since you last used it (maybe to store the mower somewhere over the winter)?

It would be easy to accidentally bend a pto shaft like that with a loader bucket without realizing it.

Not that I’ve ever done anything like that (cough cough)……….
No, I keep the mower in the basement and I just back the tractor to the basement garage door to load/unload. It is possible that I left the trailer hitch (drawbar/ball) on the back of the tractor and lowered the mower too far. I've done this before (by accident) on the big cutter but it didn't cause damage.

I would try and figure out what the heck you hit!!! Make sure it doesn't happen again....

I've bent my drive shaft and just replace the center pipe. Bought replacement at Agri-supply.
I'm pretty sure it was a pine tree root.

That is really bent to the point I wonder if something else caused it.

Have you gone back to where you think all this happened to see if there is a stump?
I grind my stumps down so probably not but it's possible rain water erosion could expose one on a hillside. I still think tree roots. I have hit those before.

/ Grooming mower with no shear pin or slip clutch protection? #24  
Do you have hills or berms where you mow?

The only time I bent a drive shaft was backing up to mow a berm, the back of the mower started to tilt up as it climbed the berm and that did it!

/ Grooming mower with no shear pin or slip clutch protection? #25  
No, I keep the mower in the basement and I just back the tractor to the basement garage door to load/unload. It is possible that I left the trailer hitch (drawbar/ball) on the back of the tractor and lowered the mower too far. I've done this before (by accident) on the big cutter but it didn't cause damage.
I would bet money this happened. No way that shaft bent from torque. It got hung up on something. As someone else said, if you did hit something and locked up so hard that the shaft had to give, it would have twisted it. Not bent it like that. The only way that can happen is from sideways force on the middle of the driveshaft. The first thing I thought when I saw it is that there isn't enough clearance on the mower deck, and lifting it caused the deck to run in to the shaft and bend it. Hitting the trailer hitch or drawbar makes a lot of sense.

Do you have hills or berms where you mow?

The only time I bent a drive shaft was backing up to mow a berm, the back of the mower started to tilt up as it climbed the berm and that did it!
Yes, my property is hilly, fairly steep in some areas. Good point.

I would bet money this happened. No way that shaft bent from torque. It got hung up on something. As someone else said, if you did hit something and locked up so hard that the shaft had to give, it would have twisted it. Not bent it like that. The only way that can happen is from sideways force on the middle of the driveshaft. The first thing I thought when I saw it is that there isn't enough clearance on the mower deck, and lifting it caused the deck to run in to the shaft and bend it. Hitting the trailer hitch or drawbar makes a lot of sense.
I agree and the more I think about it the more I think this could have happened. Being that it was 5-6 months ago and in my 60's my memory is not as good as when I was young. The strange thing is I can remember events from decades ago much better now but short term memory not so much.

/ Grooming mower with no shear pin or slip clutch protection? #28  
I agree and the more I think about it the more I think this could have happened. Being that it was 5-6 months ago and in my 60's my memory is not as good as when I was young. The strange thing is I can remember events from decades ago much better now but short term memory not so much.
You can figure it out by putting the shaft back on the machine, and then put the drawbar or hitch on, and see if the bend lines up. It might line up with the edge of the mower. Either way, should be able to figure it out by looking at where the bend is in relation to something that can apply force to it.

You can figure it out by putting the shaft back on the machine, and then put the drawbar or hitch on, and see if the bend lines up. It might line up with the edge of the mower. Either way, should be able to figure it out by looking at where the bend is in relation to something that can apply force to it.
I'll do that. I need to measure the drive shaft min/max extension distance anyway to makes sure I get the right new drive shaft.

Well, I discovered what bent my grooming mowers drive shaft. I lifted it too high and the shaft hit the roller.

Bent shaft.jpg