Ground compaction

/ Ground compaction #21  
If you don't want to read my long post, the basic question is this. What tears up wooded property the least, as far as soil compaction and rutting. A lightweight tracked skid steer with 3psi of ground pressure or something like a 1025R that probably has higher ground pressure.

I have 4 acres of woods that have been attacked by vines for an extremely long time. They have killed a lot of trees, leaving the woods less dense with an unusually large amount of fallen dead trees and branches.

I would like to clean it up and hit the whole area with a brush mower. My brother has a T770 skid that I have had in my possession for a few months. I avoid the woods with it, as it just ruts the soft ground up. It's ground pressure is just over 4psi, which doesn't sound bad. My Kubota B7610 probably has higher ground pressure due to less contact area, but seems to compact the woods less. I havnt spend much time in the the woods with either machine.

I have a few options. Use the skid and tear the crap out of the place. It's a 10.5k machine + and 1.5k grapple.

I could rent an RSV RC30 for a week. That machine has 3psi of ground pressure and is 1/3 the size and weight, but I don't know if it will make that much difference.

The last option and one I have been thinking the hardest about, is replacing my Kubota with 2 tractors. A good old farm tractor for pulling driveway implements and a Deere 1025R with turf tires for property chores and grapple work.
I wouldnt worry about it. If you are going to be in there tearing out vines and limbs, hauling limbs/firewood out, then brush hogging it, you are going to be running over everything. It will come back. I dont see a location, but if you are in the north, then wait until the ground is frozen if it is of that much concern. Or kill the vines, and leave it alone. The limbs and trunks will rot and give cover for critters and food for the understory that will grow since it is thinned out.

To kill the vines, in the fall walk through with a handsaw and a spray bottle 50/50 roundup to water. Cut the vine at least 2 feet off the ground, then spray BOTH ends.

/ Ground compaction #22  
If dry weather & ground, I'd use the T770 and a rented chipper (tree service company size).

On our property, we have multiple brush piles that provide habitat, so we don't usually chip. We have a rarely-used, small PTO chipper bought at auction.

I have used a rented Kubota KX080 excavator. It's capabilities are all weather excavation and it's highly efficient in clearing land when combined with an SSL or a chipper. The reach of the excavator is particularly useful in clearing, so the operator isn't constantly moving back & forth, creating ruts. The operator isn't frequently turning the the excavator either. The operator clears in large wide rows based on excavator boom reach.

/ Ground compaction #23  
If you don't want to read my long post, the basic question is this. What tears up wooded property the least, as far as soil compaction and rutting. A lightweight tracked skid steer with 3psi of ground pressure or something like a 1025R that probably has higher ground pressure.

I have 4 acres of woods that have been attacked by vines for an extremely long time. They have killed a lot of trees, leaving the woods less dense with an unusually large amount of fallen dead trees and branches.

I would like to clean it up and hit the whole area with a brush mower. My brother has a T770 skid that I have had in my possession for a few months. I avoid the woods with it, as it just ruts the soft ground up. It's ground pressure is just over 4psi, which doesn't sound bad. My Kubota B7610 probably has higher ground pressure due to less contact area, but seems to compact the woods less. I havnt spend much time in the the woods with either machine.

I have a few options. Use the skid and tear the crap out of the place. It's a 10.5k machine + and 1.5k grapple.

I could rent an RSV RC30 for a week. That machine has 3psi of ground pressure and is 1/3 the size and weight, but I don't know if it will make that much difference.

The last option and one I have been thinking the hardest about, is replacing my Kubota with 2 tractors. A good old farm tractor for pulling driveway implements and a Deere 1025R with turf tires for property chores and grapple work.
Staying out of the woods when wet is the biggest issue in my opinion.
After that it would be spreading your weight over a greater area. But see my 1st statement, anytime you break/lose traction, you risk doing damage.

/ Ground compaction #24  
My vote is for a compact articulated wheel loader. They'll do anything your tractor will.
Examples:

/ Ground compaction #25  
This site is so weird sometimes, with the sheer variety of equipment people suggest.

Ok I'll change my vote to.... a helicopter with one of those sweet power line trimmers! Easy to use and super affordable. ;)

2019-0930-Aerial-Saw-Hero_hero.jpg

/ Ground compaction #26  

We clear land with two tracked skid steers Bush hog, Mulcher, grapple for each. I could not imagine using an ole air tired tractor. What if you have a flat and have to jack up the tractor? How much compaction then? If you're that worried about it, fence it off and put keep out signs on it do it won't get compacted. I did 100 acres a few years ago. Dozers, skid steers, tractors. Now we growing gardens and cutting hay. Just do what you need to do.

/ Ground compaction #27  

If you have problems with skid-marks, use a better laundry powder

/ Ground compaction #28  
This site is so weird sometimes, with the sheer variety of equipment people suggest.

Ok I'll change my vote to.... a helicopter with one of those sweet power line trimmers! Easy to use and super affordable. ;)

2019-0930-Aerial-Saw-Hero_hero.jpg
You don't need the trimmer if you can learn to fly upside down

/ Ground compaction #29  
The best machine for clearing weeds etc. from woods is the goat. You might be able to rent goats to do so, and to keep them confined within specific areas within movable electric fencing. Of course they will need water, and possibly some hay to supplement their diet. Just take proper care of them; goats are wonderful creatures and will do the best job of clearing you ever saw, while fertilizing as they go! And very little compaction.
You may have to "rinse and repeat" for several years until the weeds are so weakened they don't come back much. Of course, nothing lasts forever, not even concrete.

/ Ground compaction #30  

jeff9366 had some great pictures.

Think a minute. Anything you do is going to tear up the ground.

Leaving things alone is not good because the vines will kill more trees. That's worse than rutting and compacting. If you don't like the rutting, take your tractor and a box scraper to it. If you think it is too compacted, put the tines down on the box scraper. Believe me. That ground will survive.