Grubs vs. Strawberries

/ Grubs vs. Strawberries #1  

oldballs

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 , Case 448 , Kubota B2650
Hi fellow gardeners,

I've raised about 75 strawberry plants for several years. The past 3-4 years the white grubs have done a lot of damage. Sure enough, when I see a plant that is looking sick, I dig down and find the grub chewing away at the root.

Is there anything chemical that I can apply after the harvest season is over to kill them buggers?? Or any other suggestions??

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
   / Grubs vs. Strawberries #3  
We've had remarkably good results controlling aspargus beetles, cucumber beetles and Japanese beetles using beneficial nematodes. We still get some damage, but much, much less than before we started using them.

/ Grubs vs. Strawberries
Are they Japanese beetle larvae?

I don't know. They are just white, with an orange head and a black butt. They have been here as long as I can remember. The same ones that get in one's lawn. I don't mind it so much in the lawn, but killing so many of the new strawberry plantings is pizzing me off. I don't harvest berries on the first years plantings......just pinch the blooms off.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Grubs vs. Strawberries
We've had remarkably good results controlling aspargus beetles, cucumber beetles and Japanese beetles using beneficial nematodes. We still get some damage, but much, much less than before we started using them.

BG....In my old age I've done away with the asparagus bed and the Cukes family don't get much damage from that beetle. If I see it in time, I use some Sevin to zap them. Thanks for the "beneficial nematode" lead. Anything that is safe and can diminish the damage I'll go for.
Cheers,
Mike

/ Grubs vs. Strawberries #6  
   / Grubs vs. Strawberries
Thanks, DBF. It must be the Jap beetle grub in my strawberries. The Michigan Extension article was very good reading, although it only pertains to lawns. Milky spore and beneficial Nematodes will take some study for me.
Cheers to All the Sweaty Gardeners out there.
Mike

/ Grubs vs. Strawberries #8  
Well its all pretty much the same though...you need to control the generational hatch to diminish the underground feeding infestation wether its the May or June bug, Japanese beetle or the Chafer beetle.

Reading about them it takes a bit more scrutiny to identify the differences than I'm ever willing to do! :laughing:

Japanese beetles are a major pest around here.

Adult Japanese beetles go after just about anything you can grow...raspberries, blueberries, eggplant, zinnias, hibiscus, birch trees etc.

When I market we bring clean plants from the greenhouse and after two days in an outdoor field situation all those plants have been attacked and the leaves eaten in 48 hours time by adult japenese beetles :eek:

I say eradicate them all! :D

/ Grubs vs. Strawberries
Thanks Everybody,

I've got get serious about attacking the grubs using the right stuff at the right time. The grubs have made my strawberry bed most disappointing.

Cheers,
Mike