GSA Auctions

/ GSA Auctions #1  

DIRTROAD

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF231, MF240, CAT D4K2
Has anyone ever purchased from GSA. I am just curious as to your experience with it. I am currently looking at an item on there and would like a little feedback from those that are familiar with it. Thanks

/ GSA Auctions #2  
I work for the feds and all of our vehicles are GSA. We replace them every 3-5 years (sedans, SUVs, etc.). We have no discretion on when we trade them in, GSA sets the time how long each vehicle class can be kept before they are traded in. Depending on which agency owned them it's no different than going to a regular auction. There are gems and junk. Just use your utmost discretion. I can say we maintin our vehicles very well. Good luck.

/ GSA Auctions
Thanks Johnny B, I was hoping someone had purchased from there before just to give me a little insight into their experience, but I thank you for your insight from the agency standpoint. The item I am looking at goes off at around supper time today so I guess I had better make a decision.

/ GSA Auctions #4  
Hi, I purchased a 79 Dodge D150 from a GSA auction in Kansas City, MO; early 90's. It was low miles, had a good body, and apparently was used for painting/maintenance from the looks of the truck bed. Three months after I purchased it, needed auto trans rebuilt, but otherwise performed well for the time I owned it, nearly 6 years. I think the low miles belied the stop and go, short mileage trips of a maintenance truck at the GSA complex.

Former FBI Camaros got bid up real high, and I am not sure why.

Before we purchased this truck, we had gone to other auctions and noticed that the good looking vehicles were bid up past high blue book. Many people at the time believed that the vehicles got regular, scheduled maintenance, and if they didn't look well-used, got bid up high. The only guarantee at these auctions is that the car will run as it crosses in front of the auctioneer. If not, it is noted in inoperable and a general statement of what they think is wrong is generally provided.

Overall I would rate our experience satisfactory, but you are limited in looking at and are not allowed to road test a vehicle before purchase. It is also cash/certified check or money order on the barrelhead within 24 hrs of sale.

Hope that helps out.

/ GSA Auctions #5  
I've no experience with the GSA (federal auctions) but I had a lot of experience with city auctions, both impounded vehicles and city owned and used vehicles. I figure there might have been one in a thousand that I might have been willing to pay what the winning bidder paid. But even that might be a high estimate.:D

/ GSA Auctions #6  
I bought a car for my wife a few years ago at a GSA auction. It was a 4 cylinder 4 door Chevy Corsica. Had fairly low miles (45,000) and bought it for about 2500 less than a used car dealer was selling them for at the time. There were no warranties and were sold as it. I got the Gov't paperwork which was taken to Motor Vehicle Dept. to register it. Me and a friend walked through a lot of about 100 cars / trucks looking at each car I thought of buying and marked its lot number on the list. We crawled around, inside and under each one. Started them up, checked everything out. Then went inside to bid when the auction started. It was one of the first GSA auctions in our area that was open to the public and the first few cars I had marked on the list went quick and for higher prices than I wanted to spend so had to wait for a car further down the list. Wife was very happy when I brought it home. She drove it for 4 years and we sold it for not much less than I paid for it.
The local auction place also had a full service inspection that could be performed on a car we were interested in. For a small fee they will put it on a lift and check it from top to bottom for you but I've been working on cars all my life and didn't opt for that service.
As with any used car its buyer beware. Know what you are getting into before buying but there are some good deals to be made. Also, our GSA auction was cash or certified check and you had 24 hrs to pay and remove the vehicle from the lot..

/ GSA Auctions #7  
I admit that this is a bit off topic but I was involved in the late 1970s GSA auctions of Gold.It was the year gold ran up to $800 an ounce. The market was relying on these auctions for supply and the participants sometimes would miss the auction. See the bids the next day.

/ GSA Auctions
OH WELL, Somebody came in at the last minute and out bid me by $200. Years ago a good deal could be found at auctions. I guess I will keep on looking, maybe I will find a better deal a little closer to home. Thanks for the replys

/ GSA Auctions #9  
I'm not sure what a GSA auction is, but from what I've read in the replies, it sounds like a government auction where they get rid of stuff so they can spend money on buying new stuff. In my area, I've been watching the local counties and cities, which list their auctions on this site. AuctioneerExpress.com

I haven't been yet, but have been curious about some of the items. Nothing that I have to have yet, but some of the prices have been pretty good.

Eddie

/ GSA Auctions #10  
Eddie, GSA = General Services Administration (federal agency)

And yes, there are some bargains to be had, occasionally, if you're lucky.:D