GT 235 running rough

/ GT 235 running rough #1  

1978 blue camaro

Tractor
John Deere GT235
Have a GT 235 with a B&S 18 hp motor that is running rough and popping (back firing) through the exhaust. Starts and runs but sounds like it's only running on one cylinder. Changed the spark plugs and then ran it. Looks like the left cylinder is not firing. Put a spark tester on both cylinders and there is good spark. Any ideas on where to look next for the problem?

/ GT 235 running rough #2  
I have the service manual so I'll dig through it tomorrow and see if I can find anything. It's very good at walking through troubleshooting.

/ GT 235 running rough #3  
Troubleshooting list for GTs. Let me know and I can send you the page it references.

Symptom: Engine is running on one cylinder

(1) Is ignition coil air gap adjusted properly? See “Ignition Armature Air Gap Adjustment” on page 82.

No - Adjust air gap to specification.

Yes - Go to next step.

(2) Are spark plugs loose/dirty?

Yes - Clean or replace and tighten to specifications.

No - Go to next step.

(3) Is magneto kill circuit grounded - shorted? See “Ignition Circuit Diagnosis” on page 276.

Yes - Repair as needed.

No - Go to next step.

(4) Do valve tappets need adjustment? See “Valve Inspection and Repair” on page 95.

Yes - See “Valve Inspection and Repair” on page 95.

No - Go to next step.

(5) Does engine lack compression? See “Compression Test” on page 77.

Yes - Check valves, pistons and rings.

No - Go to next step.

(6) Are cylinder head bolts loose? See “Cylinder Head Removal and Installation” on page 92.

Yes - Tighten to specification.

No - Go to next step.

(7) Is head gasket defective?

Yes - Replace. See “Cylinder Head Removal and Installation” on page 92.

No - Go to next step.

(8) Are valves and/or valve seats burned or are valve seats loose? See “Valve Inspection and Repair” on page 95.

Yes - Repair or replace as needed.

No - Go to next step.

(9) Is cylinder head warped? See “Cylinder Head Inspection and Repair” on page 95.

Yes - Replace. See “Cylinder Head Removal and Installation” on page 92.

No - Go to next step.

(10) Is camshaft worn?

Yes - See repair section.

No - Go to next

(11) Is connecting rod broken? See “Connecting Rod Inspection” on page 98.

Yes - See “Piston, Rings and Rod Removal and Installation” on page 97.

No - Go to next step.

(12) Are cylinder bore or rings worn? See “Piston Inspection” on page 98 and “Cylinder Bore Inspection” on page 101.

Yes - Repair or replace as needed.

/ GT 235 running rough #4  
My GT235 did the same.did a compression check."0" pulled off valve cover had bent push rod and a stuck valve. found the valve guide had slid down a bit.holding the valve open.Replaced the complete head.not a bad job.didn't even have to pull motor.just covers and head.etc.about $125.00 for parts. Soo check for compression! and let us know.

/ GT 235 running rough #6  
I have the service manual so I'll dig through it tomorrow and see if I can find anything. It's very good at walking through troubleshooting.
Where can I find a service manual 350777 1137-E1

/ GT 235 running rough #7  
Where can I find a service manual 350777 1137-E1
Here is the service manual for your engine VANGUARD OHV V-TWIN USER MANUAL Pdf Download And I would second on pulling the valve cover off the offending cylinder and checking for bent or missing push rods. The Vanguard has a random act of bending a pushrod for no apparent reason. And most of the time the reason will never be found and will not repeat the failure.