Gun Tower Stand(base help)

/ Gun Tower Stand(base help)
Nice!! now all you need is a big water tank:laughing: Seriously, looks heavy duty, should be comfortable for years:thumbsup: Ah..er,, wheres the elevator/stairs/ladder.

Is that a tree blind hung in that tree? nice and high.

The ladder and walls are the next phase of the project. In the background is a steel frame with treated plywood walls that fit inside the steel frame. The whole thing is chained to the tree. That has been my gun stand for the last 20 years and it is 26' to the bottom of it. I actually lowered it about 6' ten years ago. I'm getting too old to climb that thing...it's a death trap!

/ Gun Tower Stand(base help) #12  
Yes sir, that thing is in the "nose bleed" section:laughing: You wont know what to do with all the new comfort!!

I built myself an 8'x8' 2 years ago. Like you, when I was younger, a "crook" in a tree was good enough.

/ Gun Tower Stand(base help) #13  
The ladder and walls are the next phase of the project. In the background is a steel frame with treated plywood walls that fit inside the steel frame. The whole thing is chained to the tree. That has been my gun stand for the last 20 years and it is 26' to the bottom of it. I actually lowered it about 6' ten years ago. I'm getting too old to climb that thing...it's a death trap!
Ain't nothing better to wake a man up in the morning than climbing frozen metal tree stand steps or rungs in rubber boots in the dark!

The steps up to the skybox,(that's what I call that stand chained to the tree)are 10" railroad spikes. Two spikes per step.

Another view.

DSCN3173_zps1ba342b4.jpg

/ Gun Tower Stand(base help) #16  
The steps up to the skybox,(that's what I call that stand chained to the tree)are 10" railroad spikes. Two spikes per step.

Regular ladder stands ain't bad but climbing sticks or metal steps are the worst for me. Down south here I'm 9 times out of 10 wearing a pair or lacrosse knee boots. They are good hunting boots unti you try to climb a climbing stick covered in frost!

Your new stand looks great. By the way, good luck to you everytime you use it.

I am religious about wearing good harness while up in a tree, I made that vow years ago that as much as I hunt it is not a matter of if but when a man loose his step one day. I hunt so much by myself I try to look after myself as much as a person can.

/ Gun Tower Stand(base help) #17  
I am religious about wearing good harness while up in a tree,
+1 on this
A buddy of mine fell out of a tree, was in the woods for hours until he drug himself to this car. Had to get back surgery a few years ago to get some of the bone chips out of his back.
I wear a climbing harness its comfortable, and has loops to hang stuff on. I use a metolius pas (personal anchor system) to tie into the tree.

/ Gun Tower Stand(base help) #18  
stand looks great:thumbsup:

I just put up two stands made from metal towers, Climbed them a couple times like I was 20 but my knee and hand surgeries plus 60 lbs reminded me I was 69. So I took the VERY sturdy camel back hunting vest my son gave me for Xmas, clipped nylon strap to the military style neck hand hold with climbing rated carabiner and put similar carabiner on other end of strap. Now as I climb I clip safety strap to metal ladder/steps. The rig goes with me in the RTV in the tool chest so it is always ready. No, have not done swan dive from top to test the rig, but its presence slows me down, reminds me to be careful, and I believe that it would allow me to regain composure if/when I slip.:eek: