Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #71  
Yeah I remember when I posted to Arboristsite.com about renting out my new log splitter. It is unbelievable how against people are to renting anything out. After you hear some of the horror stories it is easy to see why as well. You have to know that people are not going to treat the equipment like it is something they own. Additionally, most people do not even take care of the stuff they do own. So you can sometimes expect the worst.

I am still considering renting out my log splitter to help pay for it. I cannot imagine that someone would be able to totally destroy it in a weekend. I also thought that if they had some wood to split I would charge them a little more and just be there myself. I am still weary though after some of the things I have heard. Knowing what I know now I do not think I would ever rent out one of my commercial mowers. I could see someone using it as a brush hog and returning it to me trashed.

I personally think that this specific instance is a nightmare waiting to happen. Because of the time they want to rent the tractor and be away without being able to monitor the machine at all. Because you know that someone that is willing to give you this type of money for it is going to plan to use it. It may be a little different if it was a neighbor you trusted that was going to use it to mow his backyard and cleanup some debris or something.
I worked at a rental store for several years. You might be surprised at how much damage can be done to a log splitter in just a weekend, even just 4 hours. We had control valves and handles broken off; tires ruined, and hydraulic rams gouged with a maul. The worst was when the customer would roll the log splitter over, sometimes on the road. So much damage one time we had to scrap a nearly new log splitter. YMMV

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #72  
So I saw locally, on FB Marketplace, a Canadian snow bird renting out his 85hp tractor for a 6 month period for $1750/month, while he lives back up north. Never heard of anyone doing this. I dont know if I think its a clever way to make 12 months of payments off someone's 6 month 'lease', or a terrible idea. He goes on for probably 3 paragraphs about getting it back in perfect condition, you covering it on your own insurance, you doing all the maintenance, ect. I'm not considering renting, just something odd I saw for the first time.View attachment 799461View attachment 799462

Seems like you might be about 25% below rental yard prices; but locked into 6 months, and insurance, maintenance are 100% of renter.
Sounds to me like the "owner" is a scam artist. Wanting the full amount in advance. Reminds me of the "great" car deals I have heard of on the different online markets. A picture of a beautiful car in great condition for a clunker price. Yeah right, it belonged to your mother who just died.

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #73  
Friends often wanted to borrow my car hauler after I bought one.

I handed them $40 and said "Here, go rent one." They looked puzzled, but I explained that it was most likely cheaper for me to pay their rental than to fix my trailer afterwards.

I have no problem towing things for others, or doing backhoe work, or whatever, but do want to be in control of my equipment. If I break it I can be mad at myself, which I much prefer over being angry with someone else.
That works both directions for me. I would be mortified if I borrowed or even rented from a neighbor or friend and then something got damaged or broke. I'd rather reimburse them for their time/equipment and have them help me out and vice versa.