Habits

/ Habits #11  
Some call it a habit,I preffer calling it soft heart and inability to watch animal suffering. I've been cussed and threatened at gunpoint by people who saw me inside pens feeding animals I felt were starving but I can't help myself. I once drove past a large dog that appeared to be chocking from something in it's throat. I pulled over, ran back and started applying The Heimlich maneuver. Being rather large and possibly frightened ,the dog dragged me into the road but I was totally focused on administering first-aid and failed to notice stopped traffic and onlookers until a cop grabbed my shoulder. An onlooker's cell video and cop's body cam footage were released to local tv station during the trial. My ex has full custody of our kids and her dad removed me as partner in his company. I'm still volunteer at the local shelter on days off from my part time job conditioned I never enter kennels nor in office alone.

/ Habits #12  
I take my keys and wallet out of my pants at the end of the day, and place them in the same drawer. :)

/ Habits #13  
Wait until you have a boo-boo bad enough on your right hand... That you got to wipe your *utt with your left hand.. then you're
In a world of **it.... Being a meat cutter for over 20 yrs not the first or last .. no stitches just wrapped it up and proceeded on.

5509.jpeg

Today's heeled version..
IMG_20221203_214026390.jpg
And this happened at home ...side grinder with cut-off wheel got away from me.

Last edited:
   / Habits #14  
Wait until you have a boo-boo bad enough on your right hand... That you got to wipe your *utt with your left hand.. then you're
In a world of **it.... Being a meat cutter for over 20 yrs not the first or last .. no stitches just wrapped it up and proceeded on.

Today's heeled version..

And this happened at home ...
Ok,thread wander time. I'm not a meat cutter,only home slaughter and wild game. I've never found a stainless knife I'm pleased with sharpening. That is to say I sharpen and go to work until I feel the knife isn't as sharp as when i started. Even with diamond stones it take's too long to sharpen and get back to work. Using a carbon knife occasionally hitting steel keeps me in a sharp knife for a long time then it only takes a jiffy on the stone to be right back in business. At this age in life I don't need to change but want to lead the grandsons down the right path. I oil and wrap knives before laying up a long time but I don't expect everyone to be that obsessive. It would be nice having knives that didn't stain or rust when neglected. What can you tell me?

/ Habits #15  
Only knives I've have ever used, kinda of a standard industry wide.
Stainless which is a bit harder to sharpen than carbon but holds an edge better at the same time.
Victornox/Forshner Knives
I have a 3 sided stone for sharpening coarse, medium and fine, plus keep a diamond steel for honing edge while cutting here at home.
You can buy a set like in the link below or purchase them individually

images.jpeg

Stones...

Smith's - TRI6 TRI-6 Arkansas TRI-HONE Sharpening Stones System Gray https://a.co/d/4qEPqDz

Oval diamond sharpening steel..
ARCCI 12 inch Diamond Knife Sharpener Rod, Professional Sharpening Steel for Master Chef, Knife Sharpening Rod or Stick for Kitchen, Home, Diamond Blade Sharpener https://a.co/d/6J0FapJ

Last edited:
   / Habits #16  
Ok,thread wander time. I'm not a meat cutter,only home slaughter and wild game. I've never found a stainless knife I'm pleased with sharpening. That is to say I sharpen and go to work until I feel the knife isn't as sharp as when i started. Even with diamond stones it take's too long to sharpen and get back to work. Using a carbon knife occasionally hitting steel keeps me in a sharp knife for a long time then it only takes a jiffy on the stone to be right back in business. At this age in life I don't need to change but want to lead the grandsons down the right path. I oil and wrap knives before laying up a long time but I don't expect everyone to be that obsessive. It would be nice having knives that didn't stain or rust when neglected. What can you tell me?
What I have at home actually.. a
6 inch curved boning/triming
12 steak knife
Oval diamond steel
Shorter flat diamond steel two sided. One fine one coarser side.
Three sided stone is out in shop, one I have holds oil all the time.. too messy for inside house
IMG_20221204_032053133.jpg

IMG_20221204_032129494.jpg

/ Habits #17  
I, pretty much like everyone else have habits. Things that you have done your whole life, but don’t know why. Things like I always put my pants and shoes on right side first. But I put my socks on left first. I always step up on a ladder left foot first. I put my keys in my right pocket when getting out of the car, but then when I get to the house door to unlock it,, I have the grocery bags in my right hand. Either set them down or transfer to left hand to get the keys.

How about you “guys”?
I'm right handed but, years ago, when I used to water ski on one ski, I always put my left foot in the front binding. Why? Because that's the way the slalom water skier in the Sears Catalog did it. No other reason.

/ Habits #18  
Are you left hand dominant or right hand dominant?
I'm LHD and find that a lot of things are not set up best for me.
In America with a car where I have to use a key in the ignition it seems the ignition is always right of the steering wheel. Thus keys come out in the right hand.
One of the scariest things I've seen is somebody using a chainsaw left handed. The bar is pointed right at their head if it ever kicks back.

/ Habits #20  
I used to put shirts on left arm first, until my right shoulder went to pot. Learned to slide the right arm in first pretty quickly. After shoulder replacement, I can do it either way.
Getting older, putting on clean underwear without falling over is a trick with dropfoot (calf muscle no longer works) on the right leg.
Have had the same morning regimen for 60 years, so I'm like a robot in the morning.
After helping an elderly grandparent with dementia get dressed, I've changed how I myself do things while I'm younger. I'm hoping to turn that into a habit before I become a fall risk and lose my marbles.

I put a stool in the master bedroom closet. I sit while putting on socks, pants, undies, etc... after I get pants, shorts, over my feet, and on both legs, I stand to finish the task. I do the same using the bed while traveling. Shoes are tied loose enough that I can just slip them on my feet. I sit to put on my boots and don't stand till the laces are tied.