Hand held power brush cutters

/ Hand held power brush cutters #1  

Rowski

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 New Holland TN70DA with 32LC loader, 2000 New Holland 2120 with Curtis cab, 7309 loader
I've been looking for a hand held power brush cutter. I've had a few of my field mowing customers' asking to do more hand work. Where the rotory mower and tractor can't get at. So I'm looking for a machine in the 40cc plus range. I don't need a clearing saw, I like the longer shaft of a brush cutter. I plan on using chisel blade, 3 point blade and trimmer line (very thick, .155 or thicker with manual feed).

Right know I'm leaning to an Echo SRM-400U or Husqvarna 345rx. I know these to machines are not really an apple to apple comparison. The Husky is about $225 more than the Echo. Is it woth spending the $225 more? Is it that much better?

Any other thoughts, comments or suggestions??

Thanks.

/ Hand held power brush cutters #2  
I have had one that Bought at Sears about 15 years ago and it is 32CCs.
I have done a lot cf work with it over the years and found the three sided blade good for nothing. i use the saw tooth version for large weeds and brush up to two inches in Dia.
The secret is a sharp blade. I use old blades that I resharpen
to work around my stone walls if the brush is too large for the line trimming head.
I grease the head befor every use and I feel that is the trick to a long life.

/ Hand held power brush cutters #3  
I have an older Husky 225R. It has worked great for me, with string line and blades. When I do have to replace it, I will get a more powerful model though.

/ Hand held power brush cutters #4  
Derek

Although not mentioned, I thought I'd comment on my Stihl. Has been a good brush cutter - used for cutting on survey lines, places I couldn't get to with the Bush Hog and around buildings. Has been dependable and I have a good Dealer within 10 miles. They use them for heavy cutting on local ski hills and haven't heard anything negative. May want to give them a look.

penokee /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Hand held power brush cutters #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is it that much better? )</font>

Yup. No doubt about it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now the but....do you need that much better? I have the previous model (245Rx) brushcutter and a 326Lx trimmer. My 245 is a pound heavier than the new 345, but the 345 would still be a heavy piece of equipment without the harness. I generally use the 326 with heavy string for the light stuff: tall grass, & brush. I keep a steel blade on my 245 and use it for the heavy stuff: saplings & small trees up to 6 inches in diameter. Yup the 245 is a beast, basically a chainsaw on a pole. So it really depends on what you plan to cut. I think a smaller saw like the 326Rx would do the job for 99% people, but the 345 should last forever.

Attachments

• 518891-bcutters.jpg
    518891-bcutters.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 562
   / Hand held power brush cutters #6  
After buying my first echo this spring,,,I like them,thinking about getting an echo chainsaw,,mine is just the 260s trimmer,,no brush cutting,,,but with .1,,[something?] line,,it will cut 1/8 limbs,,its got plenty of power,,for what I bought it for,,,weedeating,,,that biggest echo would be something to see and use,,best brush cutter though is chainsaw,,light/cheap one,course,,there is brush,,and than theres BRUSH. THINGY

/ Hand held power brush cutters
I ended up buying the Husky 345rx last fall. I didn't get to use it until now. I'm glad I went with the Husky. The vibration isolation is very very good. The TrioBalance harness is very comfortable. The engine is powerful and very responsive under acceleration. The guards change easily from string to blade. Also the 3 point blade (that came with the machine) has a conical type cup (on a free wheeling bearing) on the underside of the blade. It lets you get a closer cut with less risk of hitting the ground. Nice feature.

I'm glad I spent the extra money!