Handling a drum full of gas

/ Handling a drum full of gas #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
I need to have a 55 gallon drum of gas around the place. I can haul it home in my pickup but haven't figured out a safe way to unload it. Don't want to use the bucket in my tractor because I don't want to risk bumping into my pristine pickup. We're talking about 330 pounds to deal with.

So, what's a good way to handle a full drum of gas?

/ Handling a drum full of gas #3  
In another age it was pretty common just to dump the barrel off the back of a pickup, roll it to it's designated spot and then use a strong back to right it!:D

/ Handling a drum full of gas #4  
In another age it was pretty common just to dump the barrel off the back of a pickup, roll it to it's designated spot and then use a strong back to right it!:D

My brother once brought two 55 gallon barrels to my place in his pickup. One was full of gasoline and the other full of diesel. He backed into the borrow ditch and dropped the tailgate, so it was only about a foot, or maybe less, from the tailgate to the ground, and we laid the barrels down in the pickup, then rolled them off and to their storage location just as you said.

/ Handling a drum full of gas #5  
One of the easiest ways is to have a second drum then syphon from the one in the truck to the one on the ground....no heavy lifting required :)

/ Handling a drum full of gas #6  
I use to buy 55 gallon drums of Alcohol when I had a drag car. I use to put a couple old car tires on the ground & roll the drum off the truck onto the tires. Never had an accident this way

/ Handling a drum full of gas #8  
If you have a tractor with a front loader then just walk the drum into the bucket and tie it off.

Did it about 8 times here when the hurricanes hit here in fla.

We lost power for over 18 days in the 3 hurricanes that went by.

Ron.

/ Handling a drum full of gas #9  
   / Handling a drum full of gas #10  
I use to buy 55 gallon drums of Alcohol when I had a drag car. I use to put a couple old car tires on the ground & roll the drum off the truck onto the tires. Never had an accident this way

I unloaded 55's of lacquer thinner off the back of a semi trailer this way, for years. About a 5' drop, no problem. Stand in front, hold the top and bottom edges, and drop it. If it bounces, just keep it over the tires, and your all set.