Hantavirus

/ Hantavirus #12  
   / Hantavirus #13  
Here are the states where exposures have occurred from 1993-2012. Source is the CDC. It is more widespread than most people think.

CDC - Hantavirus

state_of_exposure.jpg

/ Hantavirus #14  
Tim: Just last week I finished an article about "hantavirus" that will be published in an upcoming issue of the National Wildlife Control Operators Association newsletter. It's a nasty virus that first appeared in the U.S. in 1993 and of the 616 cases that have been reported since then, 38% have been fatal. There is no specific treatment, cure, or vaccine for the infection. The advice you offer concerning the cleaning of seldom used buildings is well worth heeding.

/ Hantavirus #16  
yep, that would say that if you are in the US (or places in Canada/Mexico) then there are rodents in your area which are carriers for the virus...agggggh....makes me want to be a cat hoarder!!

/ Hantavirus #17  
Here are the states where exposures have occurred from 1993-2012. Source is the CDC. It is more widespread than most people think.

CDC - Hantavirus

View attachment 300115

Not to belittle anyone's loss, but a little perspective. 660 deaths in two decades is not exactly widespread - Lightning kills three times that many on average. I wonder if the mortality rate is overinflated due to hantavirus infections that are mistaken as the flu. There has to be a certain level of infection in the rodent population for this to have spread across the US. And look at the number of people that come in contact with rodents/droppings. It just seems like a lot more people should have caught this, and under-reporting due to similarity of the flu sounds like a logical explanation.

Just thinking out loud, I'm not qualified or anything.

Keith

/ Hantavirus #18  
Pic of Soundguy.

never had the curly 70's hair. :)

plus that guy is way too young.. and doesn't have a 8" beard and tons of grey hair now. :)

/ Hantavirus #19  
at least florid is on t he low side wish that 1 was 0

i see texas is a hotbed.

/ Hantavirus #20  
I read an interesting report about Hantavirus years ago. I think it might have been back in the early 90's when there was an outbreak of Hantavirus. The Indians out west have some interesting beliefs that match pretty closely on how the virus is spread. One of their traditions is to keep a clean house to keep out mice which of course would minimize the chance of getting the virus. They also would burn clothing that might have been exposed to mice urine or saliva. They also were not to move suddenly or swat at movement in the night since it might make them sick. This would minimize Hantavirus because swatting at a mouse crossing your bed might cause it to pee and spread the virus. The Indians also connected people getting sick with above normal rainfall which would increase the mouse population.

All of the above was told in mythological terms that matched the spread of the illness. Supposedly, the indians also have some tradational medicines that are effective against Hantavirus. Which I had a Kindle a few decades ago because I would have saved that report. :)

Later,
Dan